Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,907   Online: 1164

Shooter
    Large Format

Agfa Record Rapid Paper Needed - Urgent

I am wondering if anyone on the APUG forum has, or knows someone who might have, some of this paper in 11x14" or larger size. If the paper has been stored at room temperature, there is a good likelihood that it will not perform satisfactorily. If however it has been kept in cold storage, I am hopeful it will provide good performance. I understand that people who are storing such paper are likely saving it for a special project - just like the one in which I am involved. It would be a GREAT help to me if I could obtain some of this paper. Thanks to all in advance for contemplating this request. I am most grateful.

The same paper was also sold under the name Agfa Insignia.

You PM me, email info(at)johnsexton.com or call 1-831-659-3130.
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com
    info[at]johnsexton.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I have some boxes of 12x16 Record Rapid GD 2 & 3 plus some larger sheets. This was from the fast batches in the UK before it was replaced by MCC.

Every sheet is now totally useless, the base and emulsion have turned a pinkish brown. It was stored in a cool dry darkroom. Older Record Rapid before Agfa removed the Cadmium kept well in comparison.

Good luck in your search

Ian

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    John,

Agfa RR was my standard paper for years for Australian LS work, but is now so old I would not try to use it - Agfa RR minus cadmium is like beer without hops and does not do the deed

I have tried to replace it with other papers, none of them do what RR did, but I have come to terms with this - Actually not really as I still miss the loss of RR's amazing Dmax and deep rich colour, but like spring, it has passed

However, I may have four sheets left from my 1993 survey show - I will look the bottom of the cupboard and if it is still there try a print

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    I have tried to replace it with other papers, none of them do what RR did, but I have come to terms with this - Actually not really as I still miss the loss of RR's amazing Dmax and deep rich colour, but like spring, it has passed
    I found the next best paper was Forte Polywarmtone and I still have maybe 150-200 sheets left from Forte's last coating run - 12x16 and larger up to 20x24. More recently I bought some Fomatone MG Classic 131 and this is a superb replacement for Record Rapid and Polywarmtone. It's a bit more like the RR with Cadmium.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My late 90's deep freeze stored Insigna has proven to be fogged. It will be sort of a crapshoot buying it used. I'm sure you have tried it but if not Eamks is a nice warmtone graded paper. Sort of like the old Pal paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I remember when Insignia was introduced in the mid to late 1980s. After they took the cadmium out of the Portriga the beautiful surface was lost as well as the tonality. Then they came out also with Insignia and it had a bit better tonality (better black) than the new Portriga but it was on a bright white base. The Record Rapid as I have always read was the European or UK name for the older Portriga.
    Dennis

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I found the next best paper was Forte Polywarmtone and I still have maybe 150-200 sheets left from Forte's last coating run - 12x16 and larger up to 20x24. More recently I bought some Fomatone MG Classic 131 and this is a superb replacement for Record Rapid and Polywarmtone. It's a bit more like the RR with Cadmium.

Ian
    Not quite for me - I have just had a major print sale for which I used the Fomatone, but to me it is yellower than the RR prints I have in my plan chest - Both papers were developed in Dr Beer's home brew, so that rules out dev' changes

Anyway, the two FB Foma papers have become my standard up to 20x24", warm for inland work and neutral for coastal - In the ultimate analysis my choice would be Kodak Royal Bromesko, but that shows my age

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 05-30-2012 at 09:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    The Record Rapid as I have always read was the European or UK name for the older Portriga.
    Dennis
    No they were different papers both available here in Europe at the same time. with some similarities but quite different bases. Portriga Speed was close to being an RC version of Record Rapid.

I have a full set of Agfa paper samples from the late 1980's, I happened to come across them on Saturday.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks to all for the helpful information and comments. I know that purchasing old paper is a crap shoot, but for this project it is worth it. I have found a few generous souls that are conducting some tests on paper they have. To clear things up a bit. Record Rapid was coated on a "natural" white base. It was white, but not bright white. Agfa Insignia was the marketing name used in the USA for Record Rapid for a number of years. Before it was discontinued completely, the name reverted back to Record Rapid in the USA. The papers were identical aside from the name and labeling.

The aging characteristics seem to be batch related. Over the years I have had Record Rapid deteriorate very quickly, and other emulsion batches of the same grade that lasted a long time. I was shocked when I found the frozen paper I am now working with was still OK when I tested it.

I will have to try some of the other papers mentioned for future projects.

Thanks to all. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I find some usable paper.
    John Sexton

www.johnsexton.com
    info[at]johnsexton.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin