Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,801   Online: 767

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

Durst L1200 Baseboard

I have an L1200 Pictograph without a baseboard and I'm trying to make a replacement. Given it's size and weight, however, I want to make sure that the board I construct will be sturdy enough. Because my darkroom is temporary I am not able nor am I interested in wall mounting it at this time.

So far I'm thinking about buying two pieces of 3/4" MDF, gluing them together, and then laminating them. I have been looking through the manual for the enlarger and I've noticed in one of the pictures that there appears to be a supporting plate beneath the baseboard where the enlarger mounts. Can anyone with an L1200 confirm this? I've also thought about running some angle iron along the bottom of the board to prevent any flex over time.
    Last edited by E76; 06-09-2012 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is probably a clamp plate under the wood. Stops the bolts from pulling thru. There is one on both Dursts that I have. Angle iron is a good idea, the laminated hardwood base on the D659 is/was slightly warped after being in use since 1963, the base on the Ce1000 is not warped, but is much heaver construction, I assume it is formica covered hardwood as well.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Base board measures 640mm wide by 690mm deep, 38mm thick. It is formica (or similar) coated chipboard. Attached, is a couple of digisnaps of the plate underneath which is made from a sheet of 4mm steel plate. If you need any specific dimensions, ask away and I can measure it up for you. Offer is valid for as long as I have the enlarger(s) stripped down during a makeover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base.jpg   plate.jpg  

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made a baseboard for my Omega from stain grade laminated wood from the local big box building supply store. I made it to take my largest easel. Sure looks better than the falling apart press board one that was on the enlarger.

And the board only cost $15 or so.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Looks nice, Tom. Unfortunately, the L1200 is far larger than your Omega and it's going to take more than a single small board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then look into Maple chopping boards. For $100 you can get something 2-1/4 thick x 18 x 24.

EXAMPLE from amazon.com

I thought about those, but my enlarger has to be portable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    .....So far I'm thinking about buying two pieces of 3/4" MDF, gluing them together, and then laminating them.......
    Excellent idea! By gluing 2 pieces together, with the same laminate on the top and bottom, you will tend to even out the stresses and minimize distortion. Then just glue a simple banding on the exposed edges. This is exactly how the Durst factory makes their boards, even the largest 36 x 44-inch board on my L1840.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YES, THERE IS A CLAMP PLATEas bob described, but you don't necessarily need it. you can use large washers insteadwith the same resultand making it more transportable.BTW.wall mounting is hard to beat when it comes to enlarger igidity,just saying.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin