Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,727   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Getting setup for printing-what do i need

hi guys,

i have been developing film for a while now and am egtting keen to start making my own prints (both b+w and colour). i know ill need an enlarger, paper and developer (already have stop and fixer from my film) but what else will i need? im not too clued up on easels/contact printing etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where abouts are you. I have a complete spare darkroom set-up enlarger/safelights/dishes etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Im in preston, uk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

best thing to do is to find someone to get first round with you , so if you know somebody who has any experience in darkroom and lives near you - ask him for help.
    Also good is to watch some youtube videos - there are pretty good ones that explain the process.

regards,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    alas noone round here does anything haha! yeah ive been watching videos etc but they seem to be mostly concentrating on the actual printing process, im trying to find out if i need timers/easels etc etc. ill keep looking round for info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So beside enlarger and chemistry you need: easels, clips for holding prints when going from one easels to another, mask to hold paper flat, timer, big tub for washing prints, safe light.

Optional: grain focuser, thermometer, multigrade filters, test exposure chart, print drying device.

Can someone continue the list ?
    Last edited by darkosaric; 06-11-2012 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, I'm about 2hrs from you, probably too far to just pop down but you could come and spend a few hours in my darkroom

I'll let you know what equipment I'm looking to let go, I'll dig it out later.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian,

yeah if you let me know what equipment youre getting rid of and how much you want i may well take it off your hands. just pm me or post in this thread. ive got nothing at the moment except some 8x10 trays and 2 pairs of tongs!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A print dark room can be as simple as an enlarger with appropriate negative carriers and lenses, a timer (for printing you can get by with anything that shows seconds, even your wrist watch), a safe light, and developing trays. If you shoot large format, you can even forgo the enlarger, negative carriers, and lenses and just do contact prints.

From there you can spend thousands of dollars.

Any book from the public library on printing will have a complete list in it. But here is mine:

For Enlarging

enlarger
    enlarging lens
    negative carrier
    enlarging timer
    developing trays
    developing timer
    print tongs
    safe light
    printing easel
    blower-dust brush
    print washer
    print dryer (I use wood clothes pins on a cord strung over the bath tub)
    graduates, funnels, storage bottles
    towel (to wipe hands)
    apron (highly recommended)
    paper developer
    stop bath
    fixer
    hypo eliminator (optional)

Handy stuff to add:

paper trimmer
    sheet of glass (to squeegee prints on)
    squeegee

For film processing add:

Developing tank & reels
    Film developer

Hope this helps...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks tom thats very helpful. i only need a simple setup just to make prints from 6x6 negatives. on the lookout for an enlarger at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin