Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,463   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thermometer with separated mercury

I came across a really nice Kodak mercury thermometer mounted in a stainless steel protective bracket, but there is a little bit of mercury separated from the main body. How does one go about getting it to join back up?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've done this with many thermometers but you must be careful because it can break leaving you with a mercury clean-up...

If spinning it like a psychrometer doesn't work, heat slowly until mercury reaches the top. Now I don't know if the Kodak thermometer has any tiny space at the top for air. If so you may be able to get some bubbles past the mercury and then cool down again. If not then it is dangerous to continue and someone else may have a better idea.

ps. I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are not necessarily those of EKC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've usually been able to shake any bubbles out of mercury thermometers. I had a quick look at the Type 3 I have and there doesn't seem to be much space at the top - if you do try heating I'd be very very careful and go slow. If you hear a snap call your local Hazmat team

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Place the thermometer either in the freezer in an upright position for a few hours or upright on a container with a mixture of crushed ice and salt for as long as it takes for the mercury to recede into the bulb.
    Failing that.. and as a last resort..... holding the thermometer in an upright position, GENTLY tap in up and down onto a wooden table top. The height of half an an inch or so is more then enough. It may take about 15 minutes or more of GENTLE 'tapping'.
    Over many years I have had to perform such a 'rescue' about half a dozen times.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cold and gentle tapping sounds better than heat (which works well for alcohol tank and tray thermometer)

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I fixed separated mercury in a Kodak thermometer just the other day!

Try tapping the thermometer on a desk first and see if you can't get most of it back together. If that doesn't work, you can carefully heat the thermometer over the stove until the mercury recombines. Be very careful not to fill the expansion chamber at the top more than two-thirds full or you risk cracking the thermometer.

I used a combination of both techniques to recombine mine. I do not recommend spinning nor swinging the thermometer as someone else mentioned, as the thermometer could go flying across the room, shattering and spreading toxic mercury everywhere!
    Last edited by E76; 06-15-2012 at 11:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been spinning and tapping now and then. Thanks to all of you!

Gawd, I love apug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its not that bad for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Process Type 3 pdf

Just for the record:
    Attached Files

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Awesome! We were all giving good advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin