Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,942   Online: 998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an update if anyone in the future wanted to go this route for printing 6x9 on LPL machines:

Shortly after these posts I cobbled together a mat board carrier out of some black mat board. As I suspected the negatives could not sit flat at all, and when the mat carrier was inserted and locked down (the LPL 670XL has a spring tensioned locking negative carrier slot) the locking mechanism bent the paper board. There was also significant light leakage around the sides and bottom.

The solution to this was to take apart another negative carrier and use its bottom portion as a stable base and guide for the enlarger head. I therefore took apart a 6x6 carrier, only 4 screws, two are secured with small nuts (dont lose these) and two metal clips that hold the opening top portion. The bottom of the carrier is plastic and the base is molded to fit the enlarger head securely and also aid as a guide when inserting.

I took a glass sheet and cut out two pieces of glass, and taped the whole thing up together. Mat board with 6x9 openings, and two pieces of glass on the inside. This was taped onto the bottom portion of the 6x6 negative carrier. It worked very well! It was stiff enough and stable when inserted and locked down, and the glass kept the negatives flat, also the original base prevented light leaks.

Yesterday I finally received another universal glass negative carrier in the mail and proceeded to take it apart. The bottom opens up easily with the removal of 4 screws, and the masking vanes are then accessible. I tried thinking about how they were assembled and doing the reverse to remove them but they were locked in pretty well. The yellow tabs that control the vanes lock them in, the metal vanes were inserted into them on assembly, but I couldn't pry them out. The only way to get them out was to bend the vanes slightly to remove them. The metal bends easily so you wanna go slow and not over do it. So just pull up on the vanes and you can wiggle them out. between the vanes and the carrier is a small piece of spring steel that tensions the masking vane to the carrier, you can see it in one of my attached images, dont lose these as these keep the blades in place and not sliding around in the carrier. And after replacing the bottom, you have a 6x7 carrier that fits 6x9 with a bit of the rebate showing on the edges.

The attached images show my initial mat board and glass carrier as well as the altered universal carrier.

I have been getting away with printing the images on an 80mm f4 componon and a 60mm WA rodagon. With the 80 I lose a tiny bit on the sides, with the WA it goes right to the edge, but I cant print the side rebates only the top and bottom. I'll have to spring for a 100 or 105mm lens sometime, but as of recent the prices for them were a bit high. A 80mm WA would be awesome as well. (Ive been using the WA lenses a lot 40mm and 80mm and they are nice to print larger with)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1126.JPG   IMG_1121.JPG   IMG_1119.JPG   IMG_1120.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Well it's good to hear confirmation that 6x9 works well on the lpl enlarger I have.
    Btw what length lens do you print with? Right now I don't have anything longer than the 80mm rodagon that I use for 6x6. I was hoping i could sneak by. Do you use a 105mm? As I was also concerned with the thread size if larger than 39mm would not fit the lens ring/board with these longer lenses.
    I use a Wollensak 90mm for printing 6x9 with my D-6. This lens was designed for 6x9 format and is slightly wide angle. The down side is it's a 25mm mount, originally they came packaged with a LTM adaptor but most probably dont have that any more. This is a sharp lens and was state of the art in its day.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with solution to print 6x9 on 6x7 enlarger

I will keep a lookout for that 90mm lens. I had acquired a older Schneider 80mm lens in a 25mm mount when I bought my used 4x5 enlarger but it was in a box of miscellany. So by chance I found a 25-39mm plastic adapter for $10 which worked perfectly. The older lens worked quite well, but I already had a more recent 80mm. I should be able to use that same adapter for that 90mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have an extra 90mm Wolly in my DR, PM me later and if it's there I'll make you a good deal on it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin