Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,250   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with solution to print 6x9 on 6x7 enlarger

I have been shooting 6x9 on my fuji 690ii, it's been great but I can only print crops and not the full frame.

I currently have a lpl 670xl enlarger as well as the universal glass carrier. The glass is large enough to sit a 6x9 negative on perfectly but the adjustable cropping masks blocks out a large amount of negative. I know that the max stated size is 6x7 but there seems to be enough illumination to do 6x9 from the mixing chamber/diffusion box output opening size.

I remember someone in the past mentioning how to convert it for 6x9, but when I took it apart, there is no way without trimming the metal cropping vanes. Cutting the plastic stops only gains ~1mm of width and then you encounter sunk in metal screw posts. I need about 8mm on each side to have the metal vanes clear.

Is the only solution to build a custom carrier?

If anyone has solved this problem please let me know. Or has instructions or an example of a custom carrier for this enlarger. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you make one out of matboard?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking about that with black matt board or cutting away a 6x6 metal carrier I had to fit 6x9 with a dremel. The problem is negative flatness with something the size of 6x9, the universal carrier is ideal because it has two glass surfaces to press the negs flat. Anti newton on top as well.

I can rip out the carriers masks But removing the sliding masks will reduce the functionality of the carrier as i print half frame, double half frames, 35mm, 35mm black edged, and 6x6 with the use of masks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't tear up the carrier you have. I'd use the mat board idea, just to make sure it will illuminate the entire negative evenly. If it does, then use the dremel on your 6x6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print 6x9 using the LPL universal carrier minus the blades.

I carefully removed them and store them safely and print 6x9 from my 120 folder easily. It's really easy to do - but could be annoying if you wanted to print 6x7 or other sizes, which is why I picked up a second carrier, just to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If only they popped up more often, it took me awhile to get the glass carrier with antinewton glass at a reasonable price. Id love to have another for this option. But for now I guess I'll try with the Matt board, and maybe if I can find two thin sheets of glass to make an all glass sandwich carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same problem - ended up getting one when I flew to Japan for a photoshoot. (At the time the exchange rate made it a great deal for me, so I couldn't pass it up!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it's good to hear confirmation that 6x9 works well on the lpl enlarger I have.
    Btw what length lens do you print with? Right now I don't have anything longer than the 80mm rodagon that I use for 6x6. I was hoping i could sneak by. Do you use a 105mm? As I was also concerned with the thread size if larger than 39mm would not fit the lens ring/board with these longer lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 105mm - it was chosen for my 6x7 negs (I don't shoot 6x6) but works perfectly well with my 6x9.

My Schneider was a smaller thread actually (older model) so I had to buy a step-up ring for it to fit my 39mm lensboard; just picked up a Rodagon 150mm, which has a 39mm thread. If I remember correctly, LPL make different sized lens boards, so even if you picked up a different thread size, you could still fit it to the enlarger.

The 105mm I picked up was much cheaper than many I looked at (possibly because of the thread size??), so even with needing to buy the adapter, it still came in under what most of the 39mm were going for. It's an older model (60s/70s maybe) but it's pin sharp, has great contrast, and in my opinion a real bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah cool thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin