Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,558   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    reversible is a must as i live in a rented house. thinking i may just hang a curtian off the door. ill have another look when i excape form work!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi wilfbiffherb,

A curtain hanging over the door sounds like a good plan. While it's always good to have a truly dark room, I don't freak out when a bit of light gets through on occasion.

I imagine it in terms of whether it's enough light to take a picture of. I imagine what I would get if I were to take a camera loaded with 400 speed film, and shoot a picture of the door at f/1.4 at one second. If I imagine that I would get nothing on film, then I figure it is probably not enough to worry about.

It takes a fair amount of light to cause a problem. If light is always coming in, then check with a "safelight" test, expose a print on the enlarger then cover half the sheet with cardboard and leave it "exposed" for about 10 minutes (or as long as you think you need to keep it safe). Then process. If both halves of the print are identical then you have nothing to worry about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I may offer some advice.

I did the same thing that you did with my window at first. It blocked the light just fine, but I found that during the day time the black plastic over the window acted like a furnace. It's hot enough in my darkroom without adding a furnace over the window. What I did was cover the glass with aluminum foil (shiny side out)... it being an old house, the window frame was slightly out of square and there was still some light leaking around the foil. I covered the whole thing frame and all with 4 mil black plastic sheeting. The window stays nice and cool now because the foil reflects the heat back outside.

For the door (which leaked light like crazy) I made a curtain out of the same plastic I used on the window... It rolls up out of the way when not in use and is held up with 2 velcro cable ties that are tacked to the wall above the door along with the curtain. I have absolutely no light leaks now and it was a super cheap and easy thing. The door curtain hangs from above the door down to the floor with some extra length on the floor. It's also wider than the door by about 6 inches on both sides.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yeah ive noticed the room gets a little hot due to the plastic. its ok for now-may have to think of a better solution in future. going to try and bodge a curtain over the door when i get home form work. hopefully that should deal with the rest of the light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The curtain works for me... I hung it on the inside of the door so that my kids, cat and dog won't tear it up. That's why it has to roll up out of the way, 'cause I can't open the door while the curtain is down.

But it does work well... If I go in there with my eyes closed for 5 minutes or so when I open them, there's no change... no light whatsoever. I handle film in there and everything.

Hope it works for you as well.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be careful with semi-permanent blocking up of the windows with anything - someone outside is bound to think you have set up a "Grow-Op".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yeah that crossed my mind - well if the police come knocking theyre welcome to come look. got the door situation sorted. 2 tacks in the door frame and i can hang some of the landlords curtains of them (shh, he doesnt need to know). can hang it in a matter of seconds, rather useful really. now all i need is an 80mm lens......

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    They might ask you if you're using a Hassleblad [no matter what you are actually using haha]....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    alls etup now - curtain works a treat and my first prints came out ace! thanks for all the help everyone!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made a darkroom in my bathroom. Go to home Depot, get 1" or larger weatherstripping. DO NOT take off the backing paper all the way, use Xacto to take off 1/2 the width
    and stick sticky side on door. If u take it ALL off the door will stick to frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin