Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,623   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5 minute epoxy or JB Weld should do the trick
    After you put glue on it I'd wrap some duck tape as well (better safe)!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Paterson tank developed a crack right on the shoulder. I repaired it with superglue. It hasn't (yet) leaked. Regards, BLIGHTY

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I guess I have to be the negative this time . I my experience, once a non-metallic container is damaged, it is not prudent to continue its use. Any fix one might apply will certainly be temporary at best, and according to Murphy’s Law, it will fail at the least appropriate moment. Please do yourself a favor and replace the tank (maybe with a steel one). After all they aren’t that expensive and considering some possible consequences, a good investment. Look at it as insurance.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I repaired a couple of tanks Paterson & Jobo with a couple of 120 film spools and some acetone. I placed the spools and a little acetone in a metal 100ft 35mm Ilford Bulk film cannister (an old metal one) and sealed up leaving overnight, the next day I had a solution of the same plastic as the tank which I used to seal the crack, once dry I built up over the crack with thin layers, inside and out.

The Jobo repair was over 20 years ago and I still use the tank for my 5"x4" negatives.

Certainly not wanting to be the nay sayer here but this again strikes me as a false economy.

Any attempt to jerry rig something as important as a developing tank seems to me not a great idea.

I think there are many ways to save money but this I don't believe is one of them.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To go further with my saga, I actaully did already replace the tank, but I still have this one and hate to throw anything away. You've all given me some great suggestions, any number that would probalby work fine. I'd love to get it replaced, so I'll see where that takes me.

The crack is so minute that i can't image hardly any substantial liquid would leak out in 10 minutes. It just barely beads up when full. Anywhooooo, thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    To go further with my saga, I actaully did already replace the tank, but I still have this one and hate to throw anything away.
    It sounds the best policy. They don't cost much and however it was fixed it would have been weakened and might have split next time, possibly ruining a film. If you want to still make use of it, keep the central pillar and lid as spares, then drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and use it as a plant pot.

David.

Images
    Oh I had a tank once that had a crack like you described. Oh I glued and taped and was proud of my frugility. Then the crack grew without my permission, and I ruined a couple of rolls of film.

Never Again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin