Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,801   Online: 671

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cracked Patterson Tank

I was recently developing some 35mm in my 3 reel tank, and I accidentaly cracked the side of the tank by tapping it on the side of my sink. I accidentaly hit the side on the edge of my sink and a small hairline crack appeared. I isn't even really visible until you see liquid beading out of it. Before I toss it, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has had any luck glueing or resealing cracked Paterson tanks. My thought is that any fix, say silicone sealant, would have to be done on the outside of the tank, and it probably wouldn't work anyway. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    I was recently developing some 35mm in my 3 reel tank, and I accidentaly cracked the side of the tank by tapping it on the side of my sink. I accidentaly hit the side on the edge of my sink and a small hairline crack appeared. I isn't even really visible until you see liquid beading out of it. Before I toss it, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has had any luck glueing or resealing cracked Paterson tanks. My thought is that any fix, say silicone sealant, would have to be done on the outside of the tank, and it probably wouldn't work anyway. Thanks.
    I tried hard PVC glue. It worked for some time. But after a while the tank began to leak again. So hard PVC glue is not what you are looking for.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try thin superglue - it may be drawn into the crack by capillary action - if you are lucky.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a goner unless you want to save it for a holding tank or clearing tank. I had the same happen to me. Another photographer told me to wrap duct tap around the tank for better grip and as a bumper for dropping. It seems to work.
    Robert8x10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a cracked Paterson tank as a film washer for a number of years. The water flows over the top and out the bottom at the same time doing away with the need to occasionally dump the tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cracked Patterson tank

It won't be pretty but you can take an electric soldering iron to the crack on the outside of the tank - a little melting should seal the crack; follow with a wrap of duct tape.
    Cheers! Happy processing.
    DanG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old Paterson tank that has had more than it's fair share of hard knocks. It used to leak from the side and the bottom, until I slathered JB Weld all over the leaky points. Been leak free for over three years now.

I have other tanks, but this is the only one I have in this size, and the first Paterson I bought, many years ago. I just couldn't toss it out. Still use it most every day.

You can get JB Weld at most any hardware and auto parts stores. 'Bout 5 bux. Clean the tank well with soapy water and rinse. Let it dry, then follow the instructions on the JB package.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Images
    I repaired one with ABS pipe cement. Clean first with the purple stuff. It still works.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Images
    Good Evening, David,

I have exactly the same tank and, back in the seventies, did exactly the same thing to mine. The crack was relatively small, and I managed to hold the tank together to prevent leakage and complete the processing. Fortunately there wasn't even any film fogging.

For the repair, I used Testors model cement, which, I suppose, is basically acetone. It was just as simple as putting two model airplane parts together. I applied it liberally on both sides and, to the extent possible, between the sides of the crack, clamped with a couple of strong rubber bands, and let it harden. I subsequently used the tank without problems.

As I recall, this incident was one of the factors which prodded me in the direction of stainless steel developing equipment, a step which I have never regretted, but the Patterson still sits in the cabinet and would, I assume, work fine today--as long as some restraint is used when rapping it on the counter!

Konical

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    unless something has changed these tanks have a life time warranty Just get in touch with them and they will replace the item.
    I haven't had to do this in some time, but they were always very responsive when i did have an issue. The address i have on hand is Tiffen Group 31 Jet view Dr. Rochester ny. It has been several years since i talked with them so i am hesitate to give you a phone number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin