Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,092   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Chromega B power supply?

Acquired a very nice Chromega B (XL version no less) for $5, but no power supply. I've checked Ebay and the ones in my "willing to spend on something that may not work" range are all untested/warrantied. The rest just cost more than I want to spend to find out if I've got a REALLY big paperweight.

Anybody know if there's another source to power this sucker, or a way to wire up something other than the official Omega PS?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which model "B" do you have? There are/were brackets to put a C760 lamphouse on the B600, Concept Six, B66 and B22 enlargers. The C760 has a built in power supply although the Stabilizer is external.

Shooter
    35mm
    According to the plates on the enlarger, it only says "Chromega B". From my research, it was a model into itself. It takes a 75w 24v supply from my research.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From KBH the

"The Chromega B Dichroic covers formats up to 2¼"x2¼" and was initially fitted to the B-22, then the B-66 and B600 enlargers."

"The Chromega B Dichroic is quite suitable for standard column length enlargers, but we'd prefer one of the later C700 or C760 colorheads for XL models. Since the Chromega B requires an external power supply,"

Take a look at their site, you might be able to figure out the model. It sounds like the C760 Lamphouse would fit depending on the bracket.
    Here's a snip from the manual:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C760.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe there's some confusion, here's what I've got, I'm just needing to find a way to power it up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5Le5N95M13G93ma3N9c6jdb008e7e3db8165a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	53243 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5I85Hb5R63E63J33pbc6jbbf93615f0491e6a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	53244
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5Le5N95M13G93ma3N9c6jdb008e7e3db8165a.jpg   5I85Hb5R63E63J33pbc6jbbf93615f0491e6a.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem. What I'm suggesting is that it might be just as easy to find the C760 as find the B power supply. I have 3 C760s gathering dust, two with bracket as above.

Just an idea.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think you have a tall, $5 paperweight.

This is the problem with buying used enlargers. You have to be careful that what you get is complete. You could probably be patient and find another Chromega B for the same or less than you're going to find a good power supply separately.

The other trap is that you get a complete enlarger for say, $25, then you need another lens board and a different neg carrier. All of a sudden your $25 enlarger has cost $100.

All you have to power on the Chromega B (I have one) is the bulb. Someone handy with electrical stuff could build a power supply given the specs, or even refit the head with a 120V bulb. But, I'd bet you're still going to spend more time and money than just finding a good and complete machine.

Just my opinion - YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep looking and be patiet. "B" power supplies occasionally are given away for free. Someone has the power supply for your enlarger and is using it as a paper weight. I got a free "D" power supply a while back. The unregulated power supply is just a transformer in a box and there is not much that can go wrong with it.
    Also, you can get a generic 75w supply from a number of sources. The pins are slightly differnet on the 120V dichroic lamps, so if you go that route you will need to replace the lamp socket (not a bad idea in any case).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A volt is a volt. It doesn't need to be a specific power supply, just one at the right voltage capapble of supplying enough current.

What is the bulb rated at? If it's 24v 75w, a 24 volt 4 amp power supply would be easy to find.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I have a spare never-used head with power supply around somewhere. Shipping is obviously not going to be cheap. They're heavy. Especially the part you are missing. Aside from shipping, what are you willing to spend on a known good one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin