Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,118   Online: 815

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    ...6 rolls of 135-36 or 4 rolls of 120...
    ???

The numbers should be the same. The surface areas of 135-36 and 120 are the same.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Powdered chemicals last for years in storage - a big advantage. Ilfosol seems prone to sudden death in the bottle after a time.
    Yes, it dies some time after the bottle has been opened. The results are very good while it is active, though. I have run a lot of film through it, and I like the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    ???

The numbers should be the same. The surface areas of 135-36 and 120 are the same.

- Leigh
    It has to do with how much you have to pour in to cover a whole roll in the cylinder. 4 120 reels will be about as high as 5-1/2 35mm. For instance, a Patterson System 4 Multi-Unit 2 Tank will hold 5 35mm reels, but only 3 of 120. It makes a big difference if you use once-and-dump developers. You are correct if you are talking about replenishing or when using something like regular t-max developer that is made to be re-used, where all that matters is surface area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    It has to do with how much you have to pour in to cover a whole roll in the cylinder.
    OK. I wasn't thinking in those terms.

Sorry.

I've done 35mm in plastic tanks for decades, and 120 in SS tanks similarly, but never thought to compare capacities.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's all right, Leigh. This was driven into my head last week when I measured chemicals for 2 35mm and 1 120 reels, forgetting that it actually had 3 120's. The top half of all the pics on one roll are really weird looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's exactly what I was thinking. My Paterson tanks need 500 mL per 120 roll and 290 mL (I round to 300) for 35mm. Since I never re-use film developer - I make dilute working solutions - I make what I need and I dump it after. A litre of D-76/ID-11 stock will give me 4 rolls worth of 1:1 developer for 120 at 500 mL per roll, and 6 rolls worth at 300 mL per, with 200 mL of stock remaining in the latter case.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that D-76/ID-11 is a lot cheaper than Ilfosol, it's very good, and it's quite convenient. The mixing isn't a huge problem since you can mix up pretty modest amounts of stock solution at a time. (It's cheaper if you buy 3.8L or 5L packages, but you have to go through it faster, of course. It only keeps about half a year in full, closed bottles.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin