Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,700   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For paying assignment work I do send it off to RPL.

For my personal work I normally develop it myself.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Exactly. If I hadn't ruined a dozen rolls when I started, I wouldn't be where I am today, able to consistently produce well-exposed and well-processed negatives.
    What if you'd started by consistently producing well-exposed and well-processed negatives? Wouldn't you still be where you are today?

Why do you feel that this self-flagilation is necessary?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    What if you'd started by consistently producing well-exposed and well-processed negatives? Wouldn't you still be where you are today?

Why do you feel that this self-flagilation is necessary?
    It's not self-flagellation. It's figuring out how and why things work the wy they do.

There is also the thought that with the first few rolls I did myself I simply wanted to prove I could before throwing lots of money at it.

Patience provided a good schooling and in time a nice JOBO for next to nothing.

Had I rushed to get all the perfect tools I would have spent much more and not really understood the ins and outs.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    It's not self-flagellation. It's figuring out how and why things work the wy [sic] they do.

There is also the thought that with the first few rolls I did myself I simply wanted to prove I could before throwing lots of money at it.

Patience provided a good schooling and in time a nice JOBO for next to nothing.

Had I rushed to get all the perfect tools I would have spent much more and not really understood the ins and outs.
    The point that was categorically stated was that the stuff-ups were a necessary component of getting "...well-exposed and well-processed negatives". I don't believe that they are ("If I hadn't ruined a dozen rolls when I started, I wouldn't be where I am today, able to consistently produce well-exposed and well-processed negatives). Nothing you have written explains this premiss.

Why do you feel that rushing "to get all the perfect tools" would have left you with less of an understanding? Having a Jobo doesn't render you an idiot. Logic seems to suggest that you can understand a process equally as well by knowing how it works as you would by knowing how you buggered it up.

In fact, there is nothing that I know of in the world of physics that says that for something to work, you need to how and why it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I had had a JOBO to start I would:

1-not have seen as many problems so my experience in adapting C41 creatively, for print, would be nowhere as strong.

2-never have understood how forgiving C41 is

3-be a lot lighter in my pockets.

This is one of those "is it the journey or the arrival that is most important?" questions.

The other thing is that not every roll is important in terms of getting "the shot of a lifetime". This morning I shot a roll of 120 Ektachrome 64T as the sun was coming up, put real effort into composition and exposure with an interesting subject after a rare rain. Probably won't be able to duplicate the shot for a long time if it doesn't work. That roll will be cross processed and printed both on RA and B&W papers, just to see if and where this might really work.

Not everybody wants "normal" all the time.

When I do want normal I incident meter and process by the book and the JOBO makes that easy but even before the JOBO, with float or bath, I could get workable negs reliably right from the beginning.

Sure, if you have the photo of the century on a given roll, send it to a prolab. If you are just out to have fun, treat photography like a hobby, who cares if you screw up a roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I talked to Fred Newman, who I assume is the maker of these BTZS tubes, and he told me that it could be possible with color but I would have to experiment with it. So, if I decide to go that route, I'll have to play with the system.

Ya'll carry on with this discussion.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just need to find a way to vent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin