Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,407   Online: 1095

Thread: Beseler 1620

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beseler 1620

Hi,
    I got a Beseler 1620 Universal Print Dryer. The unit is in good shape and everything works but the prints stick to the drum. I can peel off the print if emulsion is towards fabric but if the emulsion is against the drum it melts onto the drum. I'm currently using Arista fiber based paper but have had problems with other papers. Any helpful hints? Anyone have an owners/users manual. Beseler was no help and Craigs Camera is not available.
    Thanks,
    Tom

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I was never able to get these to work when drying prints emulsion side toward the drum—they always stuck. I never bothered to figure out how to solve the problem (never was into the ferrotype look) but assumed that maybe they weren't meant to be used that way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    I was never able to get these to work when drying prints emulsion side toward the drum—they always stuck. I never bothered to figure out how to solve the problem (never was into the ferrotype look) but assumed that maybe they weren't meant to be used that way.
    +1 I use mine (a Pako) with the emulsion towards the canvas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The drum has to be very very clean and the print emulsion has to be hardened, either with the acid additive for the rapid fix or a Chrome alum bath, there may be others. Another thing that was commonly used was a ferrotype wax that was put on the metal to help shine up the gloss and enhance the separation of the paper from the surface. It's such a pain to get good results most folks just don't bother, but when it's good you get real snap to the image.

BTW I have one of thos 1620s, never use it anymore.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You don't happen to have an owners manual do you? Not even Beseler has a copy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No but theres not much to know about it. Are you having a particular problem with it other than prints sticking?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not really. The prints stick (actually melt) onto the drum if placed so the emulsion is towards the drum. The drum is as clean as I can get it. Seems like the only way to dry a print is face against the fabric. It still sticks a little but can be removed if you watch for it to come out from the drum.
    This unit seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the thermostat is not keeping the temperature down. Maybe rewire it with a dimmer control on the heater circuit?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin