Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,368   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Enlarger Advice - Something easy to modify

Looking for some advice from those of you with experience in such matters.

I've got a great techy idea involving an enlarger and some electronic bits that I think could be pretty cool. I love the idea of taking classic methods and introducing some tech to them (in the same vane as the open-source f-stop timer and such). Assuming I can get this to work out, I'll probably open-source the hardware and software associated with it.

That being said. I need an enlarger. Requirements are that it has to be easily modifiable (the light source must be easily removable/replaceable, etc), accept at least 6x6 negatives, and preferably be somewhat compact (probably no 4x5 behemoths).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Locate an Omega D2 although it will go to 4x5 it is not that large. I am not into tinkering very much but I easily changed the light source a couple of times with the current one being an Aristo VCL4500.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably the cheapest that fits your requirements is the Omega B22. It is a small light 6x6 enlarger with interchangeable heads. Usually go for $50 or less, mine was free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest a Beseler 23C series model - lots available (including new!) and very "modular". You can even get "exploded view" parts diagrams from the Beseler website.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Omega c700. Only thing simpler than this machine is contact printing lol. Its that basic and no frills. You can lift it with one hand. Goes up to 6x6. The head unscrews in half a twist and disconnects from focusing base/condenser carrier. Single column light base board. But build quality is good. Still being sold parts are plentyful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any Omega B or C series, or the Beseler 23C.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kaiser enlargers are easy to modify. They are comparably compact too. They have a modular system, so you can easily replace nearly everything without using any tools. They are very common here in Europe, but I doubt it´s the same in the US. Had a look on Ebay and there was only one, which was totally overpriced...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by feilb View Post
    Assuming I can get this to work out, I'll probably open-source the hardware and software associated with it.
    Would you let us know what your ideas are in advance or would you prefer to wait until you have something working?

The only thing I can think you are doing is changing the light source. Some of us have experience of LED light sources and could be of some help if this is where you are heading.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While we're discussing modifications, I'd like an LCD near the film plane for masking purposes. With pixels just out-of-focus. Calibrating registration would be annoying but once done, you could make up a mask digitally from a scan and save the hours spent doing that traditionally and end up with a totally analogue end-product. As long as you don't need a high-res mask; it'd be ok for replacing dodges, burns, SCIM masks and the like.

In fact, sounds like a plan...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    polyglot- That's the idea actually! I figured a similar concept to DIY projectors, disassemble the backlight from a small LCD.

In a perfect world, I'd like to use something like a kinect to track your finger and apply burn/dodge appropriately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin