Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,963   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know how to say no to that. Thanks! I will PM you an address tomorrow and we can work out shipping details.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was one other issue I found when I gave the enlarger to my brother. I let him have a wide angle lens, 40mm I think and we had to invert the lens board to get the lens close enough to work right.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    There was one other issue I found when I gave the enlarger to my brother. I let him have a wide angle lens, 40mm I think and we had to invert the lens board to get the lens close enough to work right.
    Yes, I can see that might be the case with a non-Minolta lens. When I look at my Minolta Rokkor 30mm (made for this enlarger) I can see that they made the actual lens elements stick way back above the lensboard and thus the 'flange focal length' is about the same as the 50mm so it does not need a recessed board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ce302.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	53848

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will it still work with a standard 50mm lens? I have the original 80mm Minolta lens for medium format, and was thinking of using either a Nikkor 50mm or a Schneider Componon-S 50mm, but I also have the 40mm Focotar for my V35 Leitz. I doubt I'll be able to find the 30mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Will it still work with a standard 50mm lens? I have the original 80mm Minolta lens for medium format, and was thinking of using either a Nikkor 50mm or a Schneider Componon-S 50mm, but I also have the 40mm Focotar for my V35 Leitz. I doubt I'll be able to find the 30mm.
    The 30mm is only for 16mm and Minox.

With the head all the way up a 50mm Nikkor projects the standard (somewhat cropping) 35mm carrier outline just to the edges of the baseboard. You should not need the 40mm unless you want to crop your 16x20s. Looking at the design of the 40mm Focotar (rear elements stick out a little) it might work.

I have tested the 50mm 2.8 Componon-S, 45mm f4 Apo-Componon, and both old and new design Nikkor 50mm 2.8 and they all focus fine with the head all the way up. There is enough focus room still that they will all work with floor projection (head reversed) also.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-12-2012 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I doubt I'll be able to find the 30mm.
    There is now a Voss 25mm lens (with recessed elements) that focuses fine on this enlarger in your box

I have the Holy-Grail Rokkor 30mm and a Rodenstock 25mm so I really have no use for the Voss. It was given to me and I will pass it along.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've now played with this enlarger a little bit, and have encountered a couple of really irritating aspects of it.

I like to make my square prints such that I have a one inch border on the side, and the actual image area slightly top weighted.
    Say that I print a 9x9" print on 11x14" paper, I have one inch of unexposed white paper on either side, two inches on top, and three inches on the bottom. I just think it looks nice this way. Now, if I want to make this kind of print where 6x6 negative images are parallel to the length of the film, I can't rotate the easel I'm using to accomplish how I want it to look. It bumps into the foot of the column. It only works with negatives that are like Hasselblad, where the image area horizon is perpendicular to the length of the film. Now THAT is stupid. I also can't take a 35mm horizontal negative and crop it square for the same reason, and 645 negatives don't work at all, because the image area is always perpendicular to the film length.

It's a bit of a stupid design to make it this way I have to confess, and it's disappointing that an otherwise wonderful enlarger have these shortcomings. Unlike my Leitz V35, where I have so much room under the enlarger head that I can easily rotate a 16x20 easel any way I want, with lots of room to spare, at any magnification. Even my clunky Omega ProLab is a million times better thought out in this respect.

But, I will continue to use the Minolta. My main 6x6 camera is the Hasselblad, and the enlargements are just beautiful. The Minolta lens is wicked sharp, and I love how well the light source and the dichroic filters work. I could even do color with it some day. So it will still be a useful setup for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas:

It looks to me like it would be quite easy to mount the column on to a shelf mounted to the wall, which would permit you to slide your easel farther forward.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Thomas:

It looks to me like it would be quite easy to mount the column on to a shelf mounted to the wall, which would permit you to slide your easel farther forward.
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I do plan on trying to work out an alternative way of mounting the enlarger. I'm not quite sure which direction I'd like to take with it, but since I need to build a new enlarger bench to accommodate all three enlargers, I have to do a good job with it and get it right the first time.

If I mounted it to a wall shelf, I'd have to be careful to make sure that the enlarger mount doesn't interfere with opening the easel as I insert the paper, particularly if I have the short end of the easel closest to the column (which I often do as I crop negatives).

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas:

You are welcome!

If you are going to wall mount it, don't forget to consider the options that using longer lenses (for lower magnifications and more head hight) give you.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin