Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,430   Online: 970

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Leitz v35 mixing box upgrade?

I've just acquired my dream small format enlarger, a Leitz V35, in pristine condition, save for the fact that it uses the old 6604 bulbs. I've tracked down an adapter, and at the same time, am wondering if searching out a new-style mixing box would be worth the effort? Supposedly the newer 2-condenser boxes yielded much more even illumination, but it seems unlikely to me that the difference would be so striking that Leitz would have released the 1-condenser model in the first place. They seem more perfection-driven than that.

So here it is: does anyone have experience with both the old- and new-type mixing boxes that can speak to their comparative evenness?
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually didn't know there was a new style mixing box, but I can't imagine that you could improve on the evenness of the single box that I have in mine! Don't fret about the quality as it doesn't get any better for 35mm. I hoarded a few of the old style bulbs as they are brighter than the equivalents, not that it matters too much.
    Tony

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tony,

Many thanks. Good to hear that someone with the single-condenser box has never noticed an issue!

The new box looks almost exactly the same as the old box, except it has two condensers in it instead of the one that the old boxes had, ostensibly in order to make the whole field more even. Like I said, I can't believe that Leitz would ever release a (film-based) product that was truly sub-par. At the same time, I've seen figures comparing the illumination evenness of the two, and the results suggested the difference was as much as ~25%, though at that point it might be like saying the difference between 1mm and 2mm is 100%, but if its on a 100m beam, its not really of any consequence.

Not too worried about brightness, as I've read enough times that they're bright as hell no matter what.

If you ever wanted to upgrade to the new bulbs when your stash runs out, Leica US can get you one from Germany for about $100, which is what I'm going to order tomorrow. Just wanted to see if I should get the new mixing box as well.

-Patrick
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had the original bulb setup and then when the bulb died I ordered the new bulb holder.
    It took a few months to come in but now seems to be working fine.
    It would be helpful if I had more time to print.

Overall very happy with the enlarger and usage although I never use the AF.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin