Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,457   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst 138 enlarger

For those who have them, can you explain the method Durst uses for a light trap around the negative carrier?

The negative carrier slides into the slot made by the head that's fixed and the plate above the masking.

What keeps the light from streaming out on the three sides? Front and sides. The head doesn't move down, the carrier has springs on it for a firm fit. The plate that the carrier sits on doesn't move up or down. What am I missing here?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a few different negative carrier systems for that. Which on do you have?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Once inserted it's all in the carrier - spring-loading and felt/velvet. Why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you have one of Jens' aftermarket creations or a nega138?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an aftermarket glass carrier. No felt or light blocking material. It's built like a tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The carrier was made by a New York company, it's built like the Durst enlarger, sturdy, heavy, precision, or other words a piece of mechanical art. It has two sheets of antinewton gladd and the carrier is different in that it has precision stainless steel rollers on the sides. It was made to accommodate 5" wide roll film. It is new.

All that said it's like everything on this "project", it fits but needs some special help. I still don't have a head for the enlarger. It's looking like I'll be inventing a light trap. Maybe one that drops down. I can't see how the slip in carriers work. My Beseler has a lever that sandwiches the carrier and my Omega the same.

Maybe I need to make a wrap around piece that makes the carrier like a filter drawer cover. That's the design issue.

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very interesting Curt. Who in NY makes your carrier? Is it still being manufactured? If it was designed specifically for the 138 then I'd contact the manufacturer or the carrier and ask them what to do. The original Durst carrier was a close enough fit that the springiness of the carrier and the little felt strips were all that was needed to block out light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure what kind of light source you are seeking but I saw that PGSYS is listing an Aristo 5x7 head for $199 and a Durst 138 Condenser head for $99 without the condensers or $349 with 3 condensers.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-15-2012 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all, I'm not familiar edith PGSYS but I'll find out, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin