Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,164   Online: 785

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

New Rodagon. Yay (possibly)

So I ordered a new Rodenstock 150mm Rodagon from B&H. It arrived today with bizarre labelling. The box says "Qioptic Linos Rodagon 150mm f5.6". There is also a sticker that says "HP Marketing Rodenstock Lifetime Warranty". Fair enough, I suppose, since I know HP Marketing is the distributor. But then, it doesn't even say Rodenstock anywhere on the lens. The engraving only says Linos Rodagon.

I remember buying Rodenstock filters years ago that would have a Linos sticker on the box, but the filter rings were marked Rodenstock. I bought a 50mm Apo-Rodagon not even two years ago and it says Rodenstock.

This is not to mention the box itself (the lens box, not the B&H packaging). Cheapo white cardboard, no paper at all inside - no inspection cards, warranty cards, instructions, whatever. This is even worse than the Schneider packaging I complained about recently. These are not exactly cheap products.

As I understand it, for the past decade or so Rodenstock has been owned by, or is a brand of Linos, and that more recently Linos has become part of Qioptic. But the website clearly indicates Rodenstock still exists, although perhaps it is only a brand at this point.

I left a phone message for Bob Salomon at HP. Hopefully he can explain whether or not this lens is even made by Rodenstock anymore. I wonder if the quality is the same. Is Rodenstock even a company anymore, or just an old name licensed to some other optics company?

Anyhow, I'm thankful this was pretty much the last major photography equipment purchase I'll likely need to make for a long time. I'm sick and tired of not knowing what I'm buying anymore. The names are only names at this point. Zeiss, Rodenstock whatever. They're just brand names. And lets not even get into all the junk called Adox, Rollei and whatever else. Who even knows what that crap really is. Screw all these jerks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodenstock was bought out by Linos, which in turn was bought out by Qioptic.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so when you say "bought out", does Rodenstock still operate? Who made this lens? And is it any good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of my mid-range LF lenses are Rodentock Apo-Sironar-S lenses, and they're uniformly superb.

They all say "Made in Germany" around the barrel, along with the Rodenstock name and other markings.

I expect they were all manufactured several years ago, as I bought none of them new.
    I think all the boxes say Rodenstock, but they're packed away.

Bob Salomon at HP Marketing would be the one to answer questions about actual factories.
    You already mentioned phoning him. I'll be interested in his reply.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope he gets back to me. Yes Rodenstock make/made superb stuff. I'm hoping this lens is still that stuff even though it doesn't say Rodenstock (it does say made in Germany if that helps). I just can't figure out why it is engraved Linos. I've never seen that on a Rodenstock enlarging or taking lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    (it does say made in Germany if that helps). I just can't figure out why it is engraved Linos. I've never seen that on a Rodenstock enlarging or taking lens.
    If it says Made in Germany, it is. Putting that label on a product made elsewhere would violate US law.

My guess is that you (and I) have never seen a lens made since the Linos buyout. I'm sure they still made lenses with the Rodenstock branding until they consumed all the parts in inventory that bore that marking.

If they've actually started marking the lenses Linos rather than Rodenstock, they made a huge marketing error.

I'm sure Bob will get back to you. He's quite conscientious about communicating with customers.
    Perhaps he's on vacation.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bob can often be found on LFPF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd return it and get a used 150 rodagon for $100 or less. Your prints won't know the difference but your credit card will.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed with wildbill. Who would buy a new enlarging lens these days? As new ones on ebay can be had for silly cheap prices. I bought a new in box 150mm componon s for about $65, and an as-new nikkor 150/5.6A for about the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If they've actually started marking the lenses Linos rather than Rodenstock, they made a huge marketing error.

- Leigh
    Agree. Bad decision. Rodenstock is a name in the field. Who's even heard of Linos?

Imagine trying to resell this thing in the future. I'd have quite a time convincing someone it is really a Rodenstock even though it says Linos. Anyway, we'll see what Bob says.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin