Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,930   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try scotch tape then. It's cheap, does a good job and will keep you from your computer for a bit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you don't mind a neat black (on the film) line seperating the four images, art supply stores have black crepe tape in perhaps several narrow widths. You can also lay the film on a sheet of glass, butt the joints together, and tape just the outside edges to the glass.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbc View Post
    Why not print the 4 negatives, one at a time, on the same paper?

Make 4 masks with a black cardboard with the same size as the paper,
    and use one mask for each negative.
    Try that sometime and let me know if it was easier than just taping the four negatives together.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    If you don't mind a neat black (on the film) line seperating the four images, art supply stores have black crepe tape in perhaps several narrow widths. You can also lay the film on a sheet of glass, butt the joints together, and tape just the outside edges to the glass.
    Someone is sending me some splicing tape to try out. I may end up taping the film down to the negative carrier glass, but I want to try taping them together first. I know exactly what I want it to look like in the print, so I am trying to find a way to make that happen.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck to you Greg. I think the way you are approaching it is the way I'd approach it too. I'd love to hear how it turns out in the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have access to 8x10 materials, you could make an 8x10 black and white mask that looks a bit like a window frame, and then tape the four 4x5's into the frame.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you have access to 8x10 materials, you could make an 8x10 black and white mask that looks a bit like a window frame, and then tape the four 4x5's into the frame.
    Bingo! Or how about an 8x10 sheet of mylar and some silver tape? However, both these techniques could limit the amount of gutter you show... or eliminate it all together...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks to Randy (Worker 11811) for sending me some film splicing tape to try. It worked very well and does not show in the black edges between frames in a print. Here are two of the finished prints to show what I was trying to achieve. These are part of a larger series I am working on that includes portraits of family, both nuclear and extended, still-lifes of inherited objects, places of family importance, and these, which are the trees I see everyday outside my window. They are meant to serve as pauses or rests interspersed between the other images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan.jpg   Scan 1.jpg  
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin