Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,922   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Adhesive tape for film?

I am looking for an adhesive tape to attach two or more color negatives together for printing. Is there a tape that would allow this without creating a line where the edge of the tape appears? I want it to be invisible in the print.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the film base is polyester, a 35mm cine film tape splice (presstape) might work, but I'm not sure it would be invisible. If the film base is acetate or nitrate, you can use what is called splicing cement. It's really a solvent, I believe.

Either way, you really need a splicing machine to properly cut and line up the edges of the film to get a clean splice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use Mylar splicing tape. That's what we use to splice cine film together for projection.
    If you are careful to rub it down smoothly, you can get a good, clear splice but I don't think any tape will produce a perfectly invisible join. You'll always be able to see the edges of the tape.

I can see the edges of the tape as splices go through a movie projector and they are only visible on the screen for 1/24 of a second.

This is the tape I use to splice movies together: http://rsem.com/equipment-details.asp?partnum=TAPE4JU15

The only thing I can suggest to keep the edges from showing up is to use tape wide enough that the edges are outside the image area.

RSEM sells splicing tape up to 38mm wide.

Solvent splices only work on acetate (or nitrate) films.
    When it does work, you'll definitely see the join if it's inside the image area because it actually dissolves the film base, similar to the way model airplane glue works.
    Solvent splices don't work on Polyester or Mylar film base. The only way to join those films is with tape or with an ultrasonic (heat) splice. Again, the join will be visible because the splicer actually melts the film together under pressure.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Invisible tape.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I will be taping 4 4x5 negatives together to create a single 8x10 image with black borders separating each section.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kind of like the way your avatar looks?

Mylar splicing tape probably won't show up if it's in the black areas of the print.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'll try some. Can you recommend a supplier for small amounts?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would try Scotch magic tape before I go on a hunt/ buying spree for tape.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would try scotch tape too, especially if you have rebates on your film that you can hide the tape in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I'll try some. Can you recommend a supplier for small amounts?
    I have a roll I can spare. Just sent you a PM.
    Randy S.

-----

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin