Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,690   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about static

My floor is carpeted, and my enlarger is on a wooden table with a small footprint (about 30" square). To avoid indenting the carpet too much, I wanted to put down a piece of thick plexi (also about 30" square), and stand the table on it. My question is, will the plexi increase the amount of static or dust in the enlarger? Or will it be the same as if the table stands directly on the carpet.

I was really hoping to avoid having to buy some kind of anti-static chair mat for computers or whatever. It's expensive and I'd have to cut it down, and those mats usually have those annoying spikes on the underside. I don't even know where I'd get that stuff.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe a piece of plywood instead? Ground the enlarger chassis seperatly from the power supply.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just grounded the darkroom. It's a great idea.

You might not need a separate ground for the power supply and the enlarger.

I did not have to separately ground the lamp head and the enlarger frame.

But check anyway that you have your enlarger grounded. Then don't worry about what kind of mat the table is on, all the electric charge will dissipate to ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if this will help but, a few years ago, I put my drafting table on a large, thick piece of plexiglass, in order to protect a carpet. It made the table less stable, and instead of having 4 small dents I ended up with one large one. I went back to the 4 small dents...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to agree with Eddie on this, you may find it a bit wobbly. Now my household tip for the day: a damp towel and a hot iron will usually steam out those depressions.

Grounding will help with static, so will time & grime. Most carpet will gather enough grime in a few weeks to eliminate the static no matter how much you clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any DIY store will carry an assortment of "carpet protectors", which have numerous fingers that penetrate
    the nap and underlayments without damaging them, providing rigid contact with the floor.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if it's possible in your situation, but it would be great to bolt the table to the studs in the wall, no matter what is on the floor, will add great stability, even just one or two bolts, or brackets. But go into studs, not just the drywall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are electrostatic grounding pads that are used in laboratories with sensitive electronic equipment. The rubber like pads conduct electricity and are attached to ground, as is the table.

For example: http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/128621
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The plexi will not have any impact on the static charge present on the enlarger. Basically, only grounding the body of the enlarger (as mentioned above) will prevent any charge build up, regardless of the presence of other materials. No grounding pads are necessary. A simple ground wire between the enlarger and the ground prong in your outlet will be plenty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Static charge builds up on the person as a result of walking across the carpet. It does not build up on the equipment.

The equipment merely provides a current path to ground for discharging the static from the body.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin