Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,559   Online: 922

Shooter
    Large Format

Removing coiled brass springs from a Beseler v-xl enlarger - Can it be done?

Hi,

I'm attempting to ship a Beseler V-XL enlarger. I'd really like to try to get it into three boxes - head, column, baseboard. However, the problem lies in removing the head from the column. Two coiled brass springs assist in moving the head upwards. These springs attach towards the top of the column. Has anyone here attempted to remove these two tape springs so to remove the head from the column?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not those particular springs... but I have messed with them in recoil starters and another enlarger.
    They can cut and cut fingers badly so don't take this lightly and do not fail to wear eye protection.
    Wish I could help more. I am an instinctive fixer...of all sorts of things. Observe the tension, and what is holding what to where, disassemble take notes and you should be able to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would contact Beseler.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I would contact Beseler.
    Good luck with that. I wrote them about my 23C II and never got a reply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I remember uncrating my new VXL about 20 years ago...
    • baseboard in one box,
    • column with premounted chassis in a second box;
    • Universal head in another box;
    • color controller for the head in a 4th box.

I would not attempt removal of the chassis from the column. Remove the control arms and knobs from the chassis. Secure the chassis' fully upward position to the column with some gaffer tape. before putting into a suitable box/crate.
    Last edited by wiltw; 07-24-2012 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be EXTREMELY careful working with large springs.

They can cause serious injury, like cutting your fingers off.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin