Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question on enlarger lenses??

Over time, I have aquired a good collection of enlarger lenses through my wheeling and dealing adventures. I have a bunch of El-Nikkor and Rodenstock lenses and was just wondering if there was a place to find out the dates and elements of the El-Nikkor's from the serial numbers on them. The Rodenstocks don't have a number that I can find.

Any one know of a place to look for some info on these. I have searched some on the internet but haven't found anything much about year or elements from the numbers.

Could use some knowledgeable help here.

I do know that from a little testing with each that I can't tell any thing different on prints up to 11x14 from 35mm negatives from any of them. My eyes are not the best anymore but I would like to keep the best ones and let the others go to others that can use them.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I found this image of an EL-Nikkor instruction booklet on the auction site...

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks rthomas and jnoir for the info. The Nikkors with the numbers gave me an idea of time made and elements. I think what I'll do is make sure the ones I want to keep are good and clear and let the rest of them go to someone that can use them.
    I might post in the free,free thread what I don't need.
    I have a bunch of others that I don't care for also. Different brands and focal lengths.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I date El Nikkor lens barrels like this:

OLD: black with silver metal aperture ring
    NOT AS OLD: all black metal
    NEWEST: plastic with illuminated aperture

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I date El Nikkor lens barrels like this:

OLD: black with silver metal aperture ring
    NOT AS OLD: all black metal
    NEWEST: plastic with illuminated aperture

By that description it looks like I have 3- NOT AS OLD, 1- NEWEST. of the EL-Nikkors. This is just something that I was curious about since I had a few and they are all different in how they are physically different from each other. I guess they were made one way until the molds wore out and then changed the style and shape. ( Just thinking )
    I have one 75mm that stops down to f45 and the others are 50mm that stops down to f16.
    Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    By that description it looks like I have 3- NOT AS OLD, 1- NEWEST. of the EL-Nikkors. This is just something that I was curious about since I had a few and they are all different in how they are physically different from each other. I guess they were made one way until the molds wore out and then changed the style and shape. ( Just thinking )
    I have one 75mm that stops down to f45 and the others are 50mm that stops down to f16.
    Thanks
    Richard
    They used the same "EL NIKKOR" name for both the four-element and six-element lenses. The 75mm is a four-element lens. The 50mm f2.8 is six-element and the 50mm f4 is four-element.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin