Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,277   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dicro 45s fan question

I have a Beseler Dicro 45s that I am thinking of disconnecting the fan. It has a little vibration that I can feel when it runs. I have cleaned the blades and put a little oil on the motor bearings but it still has a little vibration when I touch the outside with my hand.
    I don't expose it for very long times and between exposures it might sit for 5 minutes. I would think that would be long enough for the lamp to cool down enough to not worry about heating the insides up.
    I thought I might also put a switch on the side or front to turn the fan off when I need to make the exposure. From what I can tell, the electronic circuit board is just for controlling the lamp voltage.
    Has anyone tried this idea before?
    Any ideas maybe without buying another fan motor.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I recall the fan is mounted on isolation blocks like this. In the 45S head I picked up a year ago the blocks where hard and cracked. I don't think the 60km drive home in the back seat of truck did them any good either. You might look into replacing them. The switch idea is interesting another alternative would be an external fan of some sort.

http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM01003.htm - no knowledge of this company beyond google. Electronic parts suppliers may also be a source.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    If I recall the fan is mounted on isolation blocks like this. In the 45S head I picked up a year ago the blocks where hard and cracked. I don't think the 60km drive home in the back seat of truck did them any good either. You might look into replacing them. The switch idea is interesting another alternative would be an external fan of some sort.

http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM01003.htm - no knowledge of this company beyond google. Electronic parts suppliers may also be a source.

George

Thanks George
    The external fan was a thought but since I don't expose for very long and a good time between exposures, I think I might try the switch idea. Just one more thing to remember but habits of turning on and off are do-able. I could make a time delay circuit to turn off , say for a few seconds before exposure, and then trip the lamp to turn on. Then it would reset and turn the fan back on.
    Just thinking here.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my 45MX enlarger with the dichro 45S enlarger with the upper part of the frame connected with a bracket to the wall. Another trick you might want to try is possibly mounting a shock absorbing ring where the head meets the enlarger. That way, the head sits on the foam ring, not on the enlarger. No matter what you do, don't disconnect the fan. You'll fry the bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the fan is there for a reason.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks fellows for the info.

Wildbill, your website is great. Very good stuff there. You are very talented with the camera.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    beselermod for fan replacement.pdf

I found something on the internet that someone had done. I think I'll go this route.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great detailed instructions. I'm a bit of a chicken in taking apart my color head. I would try to isolate the whole head by putting a vibration dampening rubber collar placed between the head and the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    beselermod for fan replacement.pdf

I found something on the internet that someone had done. I think I'll go this route.

Richard
    I'm a little surprised to see that older style fan in the Beseler. All the Omega 4x5 dichroic heads have the more modern compact fan like shown in the modification. Looks like a worthwhile project to upgrade the fan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Great detailed instructions. I'm a bit of a chicken in taking apart my color head. I would try to isolate the whole head by putting a vibration dampening rubber collar placed between the head and the enlarger.
    Hey
    I have been pretty handy building, changing, taking apart, putting back together about all my life. I make and restore radios, electronics stuff, and anything that I want to know how it works. Sometimes I have success, sometimes I don't.

I've built drag cars, radios, photo parts and gadgets, and other stuff when I can't find what I need to replace or repair something. One of my other hobbies is Amateur radio and I build a lot of the radios and things that go with it.

So, I think I can tackle this job OK. I do have a few fans stored that came out of some old computers that I have junked.

On this project, I think I'll buy a new fan since they aren't that expensive. The one he did was using a low voltage fan and I'll get one that is setup for 120 volt. I am a retired electrician and I hope I can wire this back right.

Thanks for replying to this thought.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin