Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,328   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Blade Easels

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4 Blade Easels

I think I've finally come to the realization that I need a 4 blade easel. I'd rather not spend a fortune right now, and most of what I see on Ebay are Saunders, and some LPL easels.

There appears to be various types of Saunders easels. Does anyone have anything good (or bad) specifically to say about Saunders in general? How about the various models? What are the differences between "Universal", "V-Track", "Slim Track"? Thanks all.

Images
    Good Evening, David,

The Saunders Universal is an excellent all-round easel, provided you're working only up to 11 x 14. I've seen some at good prices on E-Bay. I think that the others you mention are somewhat more expensive.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Saunders SlimTrack for prints up to 11x14, and a Saunders Universal for 16x20s. Both are well made, and work well. The 16x20 Universal, while it will make smaller prints, was too large to allow moving it around for various crops on smaller prints with my old Omega D2V.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a bit off topic, but I bought an Adorama 11x14 (which I think is actually 12x16) 4 bladed easel, and can work just fine with it. It was cheaper than a new Saunders at the time. The only down side is that it does not lock down, but rather the blades are pressed agaisnt the base by placing strong magnets on top of them (the easel came with 4 magnets, two long and two short). Just another suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    ...What are the differences between "Universal", "V-Track", "Slim Track"?...
    You can read about the Saunders easels at http://www.tiffen.com/Header_page_Saunders_Easels.htm. I have one of the "clutch drive" models, the UA1114 and love it. The 1-inch base works under autofocus enlargers, too.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David, you are in the US so you could go with a Saunders, which I considered myself (either the Heavy-Duty or the V-track) but as they are not available outside the US I found a LPL Universal 14x17" which has great built quality and can handle both metric and empire sizes (cm and inches), as they are different (30x40cm is larger than 11x14" even though they are "treated" as equivalents).
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Saunders Universal 11x14. After some initial tweaking (it apparently was not properly aligned as it came from the factory) it is a joy to use and I recommend it highly. You may have to spend some time with a screwdriver and a measure to get is square but it's worth it.

One caution. Four-blade easels don't fit properly under some smaller enlargers. I could not utilize mine properly with my previous enlargers. There needs to be enough space between the column and the center of the enlarging lens so you can place the center of the easel directly under the lens. Even with my current enlarger, there's not much "wiggle room" for cropping and being able to print in the center of an 11x14 sheet of paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I found a LPL Universal 14x17" which has great built quality and can handle both metric and empire sizes (cm and inches), as they are different (30x40cm is larger than 11x14" even though they are "treated" as equivalents).
    Is that the easel with blades that pop out for 14x17? So it handles 30x40cm with the blades in? It would be a nice easel for 8x16" if it did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Is that the easel with blades that pop out for 14x17? So it handles 30x40cm with the blades in? It would be a nice easel for 8x16" if it did.
    That's the one. It was very importand for me as I work in cm sizes and 30x40 is a standard here that 11x14 Saunders wouldn't cover it. I bought it new for 145 euros, which is a great price if you compare it for example with the Kaiser 30x40 that costs 450 euros!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.tiffen.com/Saunders_Universal_Easel.htm

I wonder if that's the same one. I'm thinking of this one but was dreading the idea of using a 16x20 easel for 8x16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin