Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,065   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

How do I save money?

Hi Guys,

I buy Portra 120, 5 roll pack and Portra 4x5 from adoroma and I use a 1L C-41 tetenal from BH. I do my own developing with the jobo cpe-2 and scan with v700. I wish I can buy bulk like 10 liters of c-41 powders and lots of portra films at lower prices...Is there any way to save some money? I'm located in NY. Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm in the same boat and can't get it cheaper than Portra 400 4x5 and Tetanal C41 kit from B&H. I thought of shooting Ektar 4x5 instead of Portra to save a few dollars but I don't like the colors of Ektar and I need the extra speed for interiors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tryed 120 Fujicolor Reala, I use to use it in 35mm and liked the results. I only use b/w in 120, and have almost finished my darkroom. Have been using a changing bag for film and scanning but do not have a great scanner.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Medium Format

Saveing $$$$

The best way to save $$$ on chemistry is to buy minilab kits. I've been doing it for 30+ years. Unique Photo is one source, and there are many others. Kodak, Champion, Russel and Fuji have been great. I have not had any issues with storage. I'm finally using up the last bit of Kodak Flexicolor and C-41 that was purchased 5 years ago. (got a deal and bought 12, 10 liter kits). I store at room temp, but you can always put the color dev component in the frige. I just opened up some Champion single part RA4 back in Feb. No difference in color compared with unopened bottles. I have all the breakdowns for most kits down to making 250ml for single shots.

The Fuji and some Agfa kits are pellet/powder and I have no experience with them. I only buy liquids.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As goose said - you can get away with a HUGE kit from Champion for C-41 (i buy at unique photo) for next to nothing, will last for years, and will pay it self back after the first 50 rolls (you will be able to processor about 300-400 rolls with the smallest kit). save on chems, buy good films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are those Minilab kits identical in use to the normal 5 litres kit? Or is there some peculiarity in mixing and using?

Specifically, could they be used "one-shot" with a rotative processor?
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some Minilab kits use the same mixture like amateur kits (Tetenal).
    Others require a strange mixture for small volume, like FujiHunt, because the bottles are matching a full tank volume.
    But you find the mixture ratio in the manuals.
    You normally need a starter solution for Minilab chemistry. This slows down (or ages) the developer when using fresh solution. You can also work without starter but then you should do some tests and ahort development time a bit. Otherwise you could end up in higher contrast or higher density.

Joachim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a toss up between a 401k vs Roth IRA. That's how you save money.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for all the input. I've been using nothing but the tetenal c-41 kit from bh and I'm a little confused about the minilab kit. Can anyone show me the link on Unique Photo? I process around 4 rolls of 120 a week and I'm looking for the easiest way to mix chem.

http://www.uniquephoto.com/search/go?w=c-41&x=0&y=0
    Last edited by rustyair; 08-02-2012 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minilab Kit Dilutions

Champion C-41 10L CN-LR

1 Liter Mix - Use as One-Shot - I find 100 DegF for 3 minutes works for me.
    A=77mL
    B=9mL
    C=11mL
    Water=900mL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPAC C-41 10L Kit

One Liter Mix - Use as One-Shot
    A=60mL
    B=10mL
    C=14mL
    Water 920mL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kodak Flexicolor #812-1857 C-41 - Use as One-Shot
    A=60mL
    B=8mL
    c=8mL
    Water=924mL

98 DegF for 2:30 works for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion SP-VR 10L RA4 Single Solution Developer Mix

1 Liter Working Solution
    120mL solution
    880mL Water

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kodak Ektacolor Prime RA4 (AND C41) Blix (I use this mix for BOTH RA4 and C41)

1 Liter Working RA4
    A=100mL
    B-150mL Water=750mL

1 Liter Working C41
    A=200mL
    B=300mL
    Water=500mL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russel RAP-4 (RA4 Developer)
    1 Liter Mix
    A=50mL
    B=20mL
    C=50mL
    Water=900mL

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuji-Hunt C-41 Developer
    1 Liter Mix
    A=57mL
    B=14mL
    C=14mL
    Water=950mL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Champion RA4 Blix

1 Liter Mix
    A=150mL
    B=190mL
    Water=660mL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russel NeoColor (C41) Developer

1 Liter mix
    A=68mL
    B=8mL
    C=12mL
    Water=920mL

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion RA4 Developer (Multipart)

1 Liter

A=25mL
    B=20mL
    C=50mL
    Water 900mL

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This should get you started........
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin