Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,004   Online: 880

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Local School Expanding Their Darkroom

I recently posted a question about a Durst enlarger which I have been offered for free. On another forum someone sent me a link to the newsletter of a school near to me which had this request:

Request for Help - The Art department are offering A’ level photography from September and, although there is no requirement by the exam board to offer traditional black and white darkroom techniques, we feel it would enhance the students’ enjoyment and understanding of the subject. We currently have two photographic enlargers but would ideally like to increase our stock of traditional equipment and would like to appeal to our community that, if you have any redundant darkroom equipment or old film cameras that you feel would you would like to donate to the College we would very much like to hear from you.
    I thought it was nice that they wanted to teach traditional black and white techniques even though it was not a requirement.

I will be donating my LPL 6700 to them if they want it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's great! A lot of people think that universities are wealthy machines that can buy anything at any price, but the truth is that art departments are poorly under-funded and really rely on donations of equipment. We were fortunate enough to be given an 8x10 Elwood enlarger last semester with an older 240mm Componon. We have engendered enough interest in large format to actually have a need for one. Now, if we can only get one for our color darkroom...
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    A lot of people think that universities are wealthy machines that can buy anything at any price
    Although this one calls itself a college, it's actually a school with an age range of ten to eighteen. We seem to have a lot of schools which are currently calling themselves colleges and acadamies for some reason.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Steve,

That kind of item is good to hear. Apart from the positive photographic slant, it's reassuring to see that someone at a school still knows where to place the apostrophe in "students' enjoyment". (You wouldn't believe the randon s'prinkling of apos'trophe's among'st s'taff and s'tudent's before and after 's's' here at the Univer's'ity of Plymouth - or maybe you would!)

Of course, when you roll up with an enlarger there has to be a finite chance that you'll be collared to provide some help and guidance, which could be a rewarding experience if you have the time to spare.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    it's reassuring to see that someone at a school still knows where to place the apostrophe in "students' enjoyment". (You wouldn't believe the randon s'prinkling of apos'trophe's among'st s'taff and s'tudent's before and after 's's' here at the Univer's'ity of Plymouth - or maybe you would!)
    If it's anything like the letters I used to get from our children's schools, I would. Many times I have corrected them with red pen and sent them back - much to the embarassment of my children!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Of course, when you roll up with an enlarger there has to be a finite chance that you'll be collared to provide some help and guidance, which could be a rewarding experience if you have the time to spare.
    I don't mind doing that.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    ... we feel it would enhance the students’ enjoyment and understanding of the subject.
    Apart from the apostrophe, this simple statement says so much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Apart from the apostrophe, this simple statement says so much.
    Nothing wrong with the apostrophe. It's relating to more than one student.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is outstanding!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nothing wrong with the apostrophe. It's relating to more than one student.

Steve.
    Oh no, I didn't mean to criticize the apostrophe...

I meant to draw attention to the clear-minded statement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ..... Many times I have corrected them with red pen and sent them back - much to the embarassment of my children!

Steve.
    I do that too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin