Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,255   Online: 1010

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The comment about the lens hood actually has some merit, but for a totally different reason.
    I use a lens hood on my EL-Nikkor 50. It has kept my fingers off the front element when I reached up to turn the aperture ring...but did not grab the lens quite right.
    I hear you! Just today we cleaned the bottom glass of 29 enlarger lenses, and dusted off the top glass (19 enlargers, 5 with 3-lens turrets). Not all were dirty, though, so we did skip a few bottoms, but got all the tops. We did this three weeks ago, also.

Last week was checking the alignment on all of them (most were still good), the week before that was checking and cleaning condensers.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    Does anyone know a source of caps, or even better keepers/bubble cases, in the UK or elsewhere in the EU?

Caps:
    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=6900

Cases:
    I don't think they were offered solely. You might try with the lens manufacturer.
    But why? Those enlarger lernses are typically not carried around but stored at home or even at a darkroom. So any casing found at home might work.
    Why not use a PE-box intended for the fridge/freezer? Glue with hotmelt some dividers into it and you got a customized dust-tight casing for several lenses.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-16-2013 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leigh, I'm guessing the HMs are pretty damn nice. Did you happen to have the opportunity to try the Rodagon Ns?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leigh, I'm guessing the HMs are pretty damn nice. Did you happen to have the opportunity to try the Rodagon Ns?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got in a Schneider Componon 80mm lens today. It has front and rear caps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I have observed is:
    If the lens comes in a cardboard box it will have both front and rear caps.
    If the lens comes in a screw in "jewel" case, it probably only has the front cap, as the rear is screwed into the jewel case. Then it is up to the buyer to buy a rear cap, if he wants one.

And all bets are off for used lenses.
    Caps could be added or removed/lost.

If the lens is kept on the enlarger, there is a good chance that the caps will be lost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW Jeff,
    In high school, when I carried my camera around ALL DAY, I rarely used a lens cap. And when I did use a lens cap, it got lost within a week, so I stopped buying caps.
    Even now, when I go out to shoot, the lens cap is off the lens. The lens is not capped unless I have a reason to cap it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 3 Omega lensboards with 50/80/135 respectively and rotate the 50 and 80 fairly often (have slowed down my 4x5 shooting recently)
    Caps would be nice for these when they are in the box not in use. I do have then in sealable bubblewrap envelopes but caps would be nice also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Bruce
    I agree with you. I need to get caps for the lenses that came in jewel cases. So when I remove the turret or lens board with the lenses on, I can protect the front and rear elements when I store it away.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I have a French-made enlarging lens. It did ot come with a cap, but with a beret.
    I guess it is an older lens. Berets are out of fashion meanwhile...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin