Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,609   Online: 952

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beseler 8021 Lensboard - not ok for EL-Nikkor?

I have a Beseler 8021 lensboard that fits 23C / 45M / CB7 enlargers. Printed on the end flap of the box, it says "FOR ALL LEICA MOUNT LENSES Except Komuranon E and El Nikkor".

This is the board that has the little 1/4 inch diameter (roughly) plastic light pipe that shines light on the aperture scale.

I have two EL-Nikkor lenses that are mounted on plain lensboards without the light pipe. I have one of these 8021 lensboards and an El-Nikkor that needs to be mounted. I can get another plain 39mm lensboard for it, but I'm wondering what it is about this 8021 lensboard that makes it unsuitable for EL-Nikkor lenses?

Shooter
    35mm
    My first thoughts were, it will work with a Nikkor lens but the light pipe (presumably to help illuminate the Aperture numbers) won't work with that lens. Other than that if the lensboard has the 39mm thread and is not to far for the register, I cannot see what the problem may be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some of the early models of the 39mm Leica thread EL Nikkors were made with very short thread length. I suppose that the Komuranon lenses might have used the same short thread length standard. Unless the lens board is quite thin, there might not be enough thread passing through the top side of the board to properly grip a retaining ring. I found this to be the case with an older 75/4 EL Nikkor.

The threaded shank of the lens was only 1mm or less above the top of the lens board. Given that and the starting chamfer at the beginning of the thread, the retaining ring would turn no more than 2/3 turn—far too little thread for safe mounting. I had to obtain a lens board with a 39mm flange and screw the lens into the flange.

The newer “N” version EL Nikkors have longer thread length and fit the standard Beseler boards with enough thread above the top of the board to grip a retaining ring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a newer EL-Nikkor N. There is plenty of thread for the jam nut to grab onto. Aside from the light pipe, there is no difference between the plain board and this one that I can see. They are both 39mm, and they both have the recessed area for the jam nut on the light source side of the board.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In that case it will work properly.

The warning on the box was intended for the short-shank EL Nikkors and Komuranons that were sold when the lens board was made and packaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the info, Ian. That clears up a mystery for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin