Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,715   Online: 905

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Polygot is absolutely right about the new production, even though the CPP3 is based on all new moldings and tooling, and mostly new components and electronics (other then the lift).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will the Expert Drums, 3010, 3006, etc. again be offered for sale?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Film sales for Fujifilm are 1% of its gross revenue. That is their "right size," i.e., just about being gone without being totally gone. I'm sure that Ilford's photographic product sales are a much larger slice of their gross revenue.

Anybody remember when the CPP-3 was first posted on this board, some people thought that it could be a hoax? I welcome the news that it's really coming. Jobo thinks that there is a market for the new machine. I don't remember the last selling price of a CPP-2, but I do remember that those machines weren't cheap, either. The processor will sell because there is a market for it. In my state, nobody processes large format color film. Nobody. I send it out to Praust in Rochester, NY. They have a snappy turn-around and do a fine job, but I'd just like to do it here, and I mean locally and conveniently. The local labs have either not done a good job or else aren't convenient, at all. This year, so far, I've spent at least $800 on film, maybe more than $1000. So yeah, there's a few of us for whom this stuff is economical.

Besides, a Nikon D800 definitely isn't in my future, not as long as I can buy film.
    I have trouble finding your point regarding Fuji's right size. To me,the 1% figure is testament to their success. At Kodak, the film division is a cash cow that is supporting everything else (all the other failures). What a dismal situation.

But hell, maybe you (or I) should buy a new Jobo unit and go into the business. Maybe I should retire early and do that for walking-around money...

Other than the fact that I know next to nothing about developing film, it's a great idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I have trouble finding your point regarding Fuji's right size.
    At what point does a company "care" or "not care" about film? Simon R. Galley said he'd run some numbers on IR film. Would Fujifilm ever even consider that? Just running some numbers on a spreadsheet? Like their CEO said, they'll be producing film as long as they can, but I'm not sure it will be what I want. I shoot very little 35mm, and mostly MF and LF. Fujifilm dropped Acros 400, and while they could have reformulated it, even though there wouldn't be ROI in their time frame, they could have done it. I regard Ilford, as represented by Simon, to have a level of customer service that leaves me bug-eyed. Would Ilford drop a 400 speed in 120? I seriously doubt that.

At some point Fujifilm will only be producing a 35mm film. At the same point, Ilford will still be producing a gamut of films. Thus, that's my point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree about Ilford but I want Kodak around. One, for some competition which is good for photography in general, but more importantly for color neg. I also want Fuji around for color transparency (and/or Kodak to re-enter that market which might even be ever so slightly possible) but I don't consider that as likely as color neg being around a few more years.

Acros is a good film but it's one film. I don't really consider Fuji much of a player in black and white, no matter how good their one trick pony is.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reyburn View Post
    Will the Expert Drums, 3010, 3006, etc. again be offered for sale?
    ALL Jobo Expert drums have been, are and will be available for sale in the US (and globally), prices are high, but they are available.

Just google: "jobo expert drum in stock", the entire first page is what your looking for...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are the molds still available for Jobo to make new tanks?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winterclock View Post
    Are the molds still available for Jobo to make new tanks?
    Actually, most tanks and reels (including all expert drums) are still available, the high prices of the new drums and their common availability in the used market sometimes prevents that fact from being known. search the sleaze bay for jobo, and narrow the search for "new" items, you will be (pleasantly, i hope) surprised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    At some point Fujifilm will only be producing a 35mm film. At the same point, Ilford will still be producing a gamut of films. Thus, that's my point.
    And a good one it is. We agree about Simon and Ilford. It just might make me switch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is good. This is good. This is good!
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin