Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,803   Online: 1011

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So... any updates post-kina? My situation is that I've got a 2nd hand CPE2-Plus which is showing signs of fatigue (it stopped mid-cycle on a Multitank 6 filled with 4 rolls of 120 @ 500ml yesterday). My guess is the motor overheated, as shutting it down for a couple minutes brought things back to normal.

I'm glad to hear that parts are available, but I'd also be interested in supporting the future growth of analog processing supplies, and would gladly purchase a new CPP3 were one to be offered for sale on this side of the pond.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got an email from Freestyle that stated they will be the distributor for the new processor. They also asked that if anyone was interested in the new processor to send an email now, so they can get an idea of demand for the first order they make.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh - that is great to hear!

btw - I found the update thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...ew-posted.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Can't help but think they're a bit late to the party.
    You don't use film any more? Or are not planning on using it in the future?

This new Jobo comes at a good time when the majority of film use will be shifting form industry to home darkroom use. This is just the ticket. Might be a good time to upgrade my 12 year old CPP2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This new Jobo comes at a good time when the majority of film use will be shifting form industry to home darkroom use. This is just the ticket. Might be a good time to upgrade my 12 year old CPP2.
    I agree. I might update my own Jobo since this one will be new and under warranty as I learn to break...er run it.

Shooter
    35mm
    The person who sold my Jobo CPP-2, around 2005, had a laboratory and the Jobo was his backup machine.
    I wouldn't rule out a relatively robust demand of the new Jobo from small laboratories, photography schools, professional photographers who use film and develop themselves, and some users, especially from people who would like to have a backup (or buy this new and use the old one as backup).

A small laboratory or a professional photographer will detract VAT and deduct the cost from imposable income, cutting the real economic cost in half. The "time to break-even" is not so long as for amateur photographers only developing for themselves at home.

I suspect this product will fare well. The price might be a bit of an "in your face" tactics, maybe discounts will be given easily.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    The ironic thing here is that there are a lot of photographers shooting with D4's and 1Ds3's who are charging $1500 for a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    It's price may be steep, but, how many non-pros are there, who can't wait to drop big $$$ on the latest, greatest, piece of gear that will make them the next "Big Pro"? A Lot! I can't believe how many non-pros compare their D4's, or whether they want to buy the D800 or the D800E, fast lenses, etc, on other sites. If you look at the list of gear that they claim to own, it leaves you wondering, how bad is the world economy really in

Shooter
    35mm
    As for my opinion on the new Jobo, yes that's a steep price. However, I live in a large market with many good film labs. I scan my own and just use the labs for processing. If I were a film shooter in a smaller market as many people are, I'd be at the mercy of two shipments. I'd never want the negs to go through two trips before they're even digitized so I'd have to get insanely expensive scans done at the labs. So from that point of view, I'd definitely buy a new Jobo if I didn't have good, reliable processing in my town. How long does C41 processing take per roll of 35 or 220 on these machines?
    Last edited by Cineski; 10-14-2012 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Coffee hasn't kicked in yet ;-) Spelling errors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cineski View Post
    How long does C41 processing take per roll of 35 or 220 on these machines?
    The complete E-6 process, 6 baths, takes around 45 minutes here including paranoid washing of the Jobo "lift".
    That includes all the intermediate washing, the final rinse.

C-41 is a simpler process and takes less time.

You have to take into account the time for chemistry dilution (if you use one-shot) and the time to warm up the machine. Let's say 30 minutes to prepare the chemistry, machine warm up takes around 1 hour. Hint: prepare the machine with water, turn it on, and then prepare the dilutions while the machine warms up.

Drying takes some 20 minutes with a specific device (which can also be self-built if you have inclination for DIY) or several hours if just let it drying in a dust-free room.

You then have to consider the time to cut the film into stripes. Don't forget to buy the film sleeves in advance

Also you should consider the time to properly wash the tank and reels.

If you use replenished baths and keep the machine always warm and ready (e.g. by turning it on with a timer 1 hour before your expected arrival home) you can handle the negatives around 1 hour after having come back home.

You can use drums which allow you to develop several films at once. IIRC you can arrive to 6 135 rolls or 4 120 rolls with one tank.

You can also prepare two tanks and when have finished with the first tank you begin with the second. (one-shot chemistry can be used for two processes at least).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    You have to take into account the time for chemistry dilution (if you use one-shot) and the time to warm up the machine. Let's say 30 minutes to prepare the chemistry, machine warm up takes around 1 hour. Hint: prepare the machine with water, turn it on, and then prepare the dilutions while the machine warms up.
    I fill the processor tank with water that is within a degree or two of the process temperature, which speeds the warm up phase considerably. I fill the cylinders with chemicals and put them in their slots, and put the liter bottles of solutions into their receptacles, and let them temper while I load film onto reels. I haven't timed it, but the solutions in the vials are ready by the time I'm done loading film reels.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin