Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,172   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I set my darkroom up off of a small hallway I built when dividing up the basement.

There are pocket doors on the darkroom, and the door from the main rec room into the hallway.

The hallway leads at one end to a cold cellar, and storage area for my photo gear, dry chems, and christmas decorations.

The other end of the hall opens into the laundry room/print finishing workroom (i know, dust, but some sacrifices had to be made).

There are no windows in the one end of the hallway, and the two in the laundry can be blacked out with black foam core board inserts I have made.

When I develop in trays or print I slide both doors closed. If I want to leave I can open the darkroom door, stand in hall, close darkroom door, and then open other door to go upstairs, or step stright into the laundry/print finishing room.

The laundry is actually fitted with safelights for when I balance 20x24 trays on top of the washer and dryer when printing big.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @Mike Wilde, that actually sounds like what I have. A hallway and inside of that a large room without windows for the darkroom. Probably it will be sufficient to use double curtains at both sides of the door and keep the hallway unlit. It needs to be childproof, as I want the kids to be able to just come down visit me, when I print, without hassle.

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Problem is I don't know where to find rubylith.
    Any good screenprinting shop in your area should have some or can order it for you. If you're smart and have a few friends, you can get a nice amount of it for free, as US company Ulano provides 10-sheet sample packets. This is what use for my safelights.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    LCD screens are usually backlit, so switching to a red color theme doesn't usually help, because the backlighting doesn't change.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your local home improvement store will have a whole aisle full of different types of weatherstrip to install in the door frame. You might get it done for $5 or less.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could get a sheet of clear red perspex to cover the screen.
    At one lab I worked at there was a small black and white TV with this arrangement, mostly used for watching Wimbledon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    LCD screens are usually backlit, so switching to a red color theme doesn't usually help, because the backlighting doesn't change.
    PCs tend to throw a lot of light just from the chassis. We use one in the planetarium, and I spent a lot of time with tape and baffles , trying to prevent light leaks. Apparently some genius motherboard designed decided that insanely bright green, blue and red leds were just the thing. And let's not forget the way the ethernet port lights up whenever there is activity.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would suggest that if you have the room, a walk through light trap is the best alternative. Just remember light can only go round corners by reflection. Curtains are a bad Idea as they create dust and if you have wet hands they will soon be in a right state. Alternatively, I once encountered a darkroom with a single door that was fitted with a micro switch on the edge. It was wired so that when you opened the darkroom door it switched off the light in the room you were coming from, but turned it on again when you shut the darkroom door behind you.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you ever get to see the movie "Jonny Skidmarks" the main character watches TV in his darkroom. There is a red filter over the screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I read somewhere that Edward Weston used to smoke and watch TV in his darkroom with a red filter on the screen.

They make revolving doors, too.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin