Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,373   Online: 1075

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rodagon-WA 120mm. If/when you see one, grab it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My lens of choice for 4x5 is a 1960's vintage Wollensak 135mm. It performs as good as my Rodagon 150, means I don't have to stretch to focus making 20x24's.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    There are 135 mm lens which will cover a 4x5 negative but they contain more elements and are more expensive. The cheaper ones may cause distortion, lower contrast, or light dropoff at the corners of the print.
    The Schneider and Rodenstock 135 and 150 all are available as six element lenses. Both Schneider Componon-S (135mm and 150mm) have excellent MTF for moderate 4x5 enlargements and have similar image illumination at the corners.

The Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm is $614.95 and the 150mm is $799.95 at B&H.

RED= Schneider Componon-S 150mm
    GREEN = Schneider Componon-S 135mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    What enlarger do you have? There are plenty of cheap used 39mm lens boards available for Beseler 45 enlargers. A 150mm lens will need a board with a 50mm hole. It is less common used, but not that hard to find. Both the 39mm and 50mm Beseler boards are available new, but they are pricey.
    Note to the OP; the Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm available from B&H comes in a 39mm mount.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A 180 will give a more even field of illumination than 150, and 150 than 135. But you can obviously
    balance this out with either a custom-ground diffuser above, or by careful dodging/burning of the
    corners of the image during printing (easier in b&w work than in color). It also depends on how big
    you need to enlarge, combined with how tall the enlarger is. I have sucessfully used all these focal
    lengths for 4x5, as well as even longer lenses. Most modern lenses by the major manufacturers will
    be excellent for typical applications (Fuji, Nikkor, Schneider, Rodenstock).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1. The rule of thumb for focal length being equal to the diagonal of the format is based on taking lenses at infinity. Lenses used at closer than infinity (i.e., greater bellows distance) can be shorter.

2. Four versus 6 elements: I'd rather have a 4 element lens perfectly aligned than 6-elements with some elements off center. Some 4 element lenses are of low cost design; others, notably the El Nikkor 50mm, and the Schneider Comparons (no longer being manufactured) are excellent performers when used at their designed magnification ratio. I have a nagging suspicion that some of our preferences for specific lenses come down to specific examples, where the alignment is exactly right tested against other examples where the alignment is off a little.

Charlie Strack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voceumana View Post
    1. The rule of thumb for focal length being equal to the diagonal of the format is based on taking lenses at infinity.
    The FL v. film diagonal is only a guide for selecting a focal length that will give a roughly "normal" angle of view.
    It has nothing to do with lens performance, image circle diameter, FFL, or any other operating parameter.

Quote Originally Posted by voceumana View Post
    I'd rather have a 4 element lens perfectly aligned than 6-elements with some elements off center.
    None of the major manufacturers would ever sell a lens "with some elements off center".
    Lens centering is very easy (thus inexpensive) to accomplish on a production line.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-24-2012 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ic-racer,

I'd be very interested to know if the charts below can give more insight on the lens' performance.
    Especially if this lens is a good performer at 15x.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtf.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	55964

Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Want the Rolls Royce? Take out a second mortgage and buy a 210 Apo El Nikkor, if you can find one
    and your enlarger will even support the weight of this kind of lens. But this is sheer overkill for any
    ordinary use. Second choice -an ordinary Apo Nikkor; but at a max aperture of f/9 and shortest avail
    FL for 4x5 also 210mm, not always practical. So then you're left with ordinary EL-Nikkors, etc - still
    damn good. My mid-budget favorite is the Apo-Rodagon N 150. These turn up from time to time and
    conspicuously outperform the herd. But unless your enlarger is precisely aligned on every plane, and
    you are using a good glass carrier to keep the film consistently flat, none of this means much anyway.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    15X and you're approaching the realm of the Rodagon-G, a specialized lens for large scale magnification, and not really intended for general work.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin