Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 881

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Leigh,

The laws of optics do apply to real lenses. However, let's agree to disagree.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jerry,

And the laws of economics trump the laws of optics when it comes to deciding what's available in the marketplace.

As I said previously, my comments were comparisons of actual products on the street, not on what was or was not possible.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Two of these just went for $399 each on ebay...I was tempted but they have the same optimum 6X mag as the vanilla flavored Rodagon 150mm. At 6x from 4x5, that is a 24" x 30", out of my reach until I can get a bigger home to build a proper darkroom in and use a drop table with my 45MXT. Add to that the front is bigger and longer and I would have to re-design my contrast filter holder or use larger ones in between the light source and neg, a big no-no if you do split grade printing not to mention inviting more possibility of dust.

I also have the 135mm Rodagon for 20" x 24" without needing a drop table, the largest size I can practically do until I get a larger pad.
    You're sticking filters under the lens? They will affect your sharpness significantly more than any choice of enlarger lens you might make.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Want the Rolls Royce? Take out a second mortgage and buy a 210 Apo El Nikkor (...)
    Could this Mercedes cut the 15x job?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210G.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	56013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You're sticking filters under the lens? They will affect your sharpness significantly more than any choice of enlarger lens you might make.
    I strongly disagree. Poor lens choice will result is blurry corners or lack of complete coverage.
    Using a Peak 1 grain focuser I cannot detect any change in grain sharpness with an Ilford MG acetate filter in the light path below the enlarger light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Componon 150mm f 5.6. What is the difference between this and a Componon S?

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The makers of 135mm enlarging lenses for 4x5 film have not heard of your rule.
    They're going to be really annoyed when they do!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkroom_rookie View Post
    ic-racer,

I'd be very interested to know if the charts below can give more insight on the lens' performance.
    Especially if this lens is a good performer at 15x.

Attachment 55964

Thanks.
    The MTF shown (Rodagon?) demonstrates excellent performance at 6x. I suspect it would also be good at 15x but that is based on my experience with the usual 6-element lenses commonly used and not based on any info in the chart presented.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The MTF shown (Rodagon?) demonstrates excellent performance at 6x. I suspect it would also be good at 15x but that is based on my experience with the usual 6-element lenses commonly used and not based on any info in the chart presented.
    Yes, a Rodagon, 120 WA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Componon 150mm f 5.6. What is the difference between this and a Componon S?

Steve.
    This chart shows the technical differences. This particular chart is from a point in time when they still made both types. Both are 6 element.
    I have quite a few of both but only matching focal lengths in 150mm and 80mm to compare side-by-side. I cannot detect any difference in prints but I do not have any MTF curves of the non-"S" lenses to post for a true objective comparison.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin