Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,069   Online: 958

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a Nikkor 50/2.8 and on more than a few occasions I have received comments on how my 8X10 prints look sharp and crisp. I enlarged to 11X14 for the first time last weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the sharpness although I have nothing to compare it to. But as I noted earlier on this thread I have two of these lenses and one is very slightly better than the other.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to get rid of it you can give it to me. I would love to have a Nikkor 50/2.8.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I thought of selling it when I was looking for an 80mm lens for med format. But if I can pick up a condenser enlarger on the cheap like an Omega B-22 I would use it then.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've posted my results under Articles/Equipment reviews.

There's also an article there on 150mm lenses which seems to reach the same broad conclusions.

Ian

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 'Edge of Darkness', Barry Thornton speaks very highly of Meopta enlarging lenses -very well priced too. Durst Neonons are also very good and not too hard to find used.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian (127), interesting results. Thanks for putting the test and article together. It should be helpful in both a general sense (e.g. pointing out the need to make test prints) and to potential buyers of used enlarging lenses.

While you were careful to point out the parameters of your testing, and avoid any temptation to draw (or even suggest) conclusions beyond the scope of the tests, it may be helpful to point out a couple of additional caveats:

1. It's unclear whether these lenses were of the same or similar generations (dates of design and manufacture), or whether they were equivalent offerings (quality-wise) between the different manufacturers.

The Schneider Componar, for example, is old enough not to show up on the Schneider Vintage Lens Data page. If memory serves me, the Componar was an entry-level series dating from the mid '60s, with perhaps an even earlier design. I believe the Componar was replaced at the entry level by the Comparon, with the "better" grade in that generation being the early Componons. The Componons have since been replaced by the Componon-S, with the top-of-the-line APO Componon HM lenses being added more recently still.

2. Several of the usual control factors one might use in doing comparison tests are eliminated by the fact that these are used lenses. As such, there is no way to know how previous owners might have treated them, and any lack of care would likely impact the current capability of the individual lenses.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    ... the Componar was replaced at the entry level by the Comparon, with the "better" grade in that generation being the early Componons. The Componons have since been replaced by the Componon-S, with the top-of-the-line APO Componon HM lenses being added more recently still....
    The Componar was a 3-element lens, which coexisted (at least for a while) with the 4-element Comparon. Componon and Componon-S were both available at the same time.

The only enlarger lenses I have used are Meopta Anaret-S and Rodenstock Rodagon. I tried a Componon, but found it no better than my Anaret.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin