Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 651

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Upgrading from EL Nikkor 2.8 50 mm?

Is it worth it to upgrade my EL Nikkor 2.8 50 mm to a Rodenstock 2.8 50 mm?

Jaap Jan

Images
    Good Evening, Jaap,

I use El Nikkors, Rodenstocks, and Schneiders. I see little difference in overall quality from one brand to another. I'm not sure that making the change you suggest would be an "upgrade" unless, perhaps, you're considering an APO enlarging lens.

Konical

Images
    Do you see a difference with APOs? Under what conditions do you see the difference?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think it's worth upgrading the EL Nikkor to a Rodagon or Componon-S, but it may be worth upgrading to an Apo-Rodagon or Apo-Componon.

Since they've come down in price so drastically, I've upgraded to all Apo enlarging lenses. They're sharper at wider apertures and typically have better contrast than standard lenses. I use 50/2.8 and 90/4.0 Apo-Rodagons and a 150/4.0 Apo-Componon. I could see the difference even with small prints when I compared them with the lenses I was using (6-element Rodagon and Componon-S and one 4-element EL Nikkor).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Good Evening, Loose Gravel,

I don't own any APO enlarging lenses (maybe someday!); my comment was based only on my reading. I understand that APO lenses may offer some slight improvement, especially at larger apertures (see David's comment above).

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no experience with either EL-Nikkors or Rodenstock enlarging lenses, but I went from a Schneider 50mm/f4 Componon to a 40mm 2.8 APO Componon HM, and it was like trading a Holga for a Hassy - knock your socks off difference, even just printing B&W.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Add mine to the nope column. But I would assume within any brand there might be slight differences. I have two Nikkor 50/2.8's with nice glass and one might be slightly better.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    127 Format
    By strange coincidence - I just happened to spend Saturday doing some 50mm enlarger lens testing, and I wrote it up as an article yesturday!!!! I'm just waiting for Sean to adjust my upload limit, so I can upload the whole article as a single pdf.

The results aren't particularly thorough, but they are surprising. I did some prints with an El-Nikkor 2.8, a Schneider, and a Minolta. I suspect there was some experimental error, so will do more testing in the future - however the results are dramatic.

Without giving the game away, I may not be using the Nikon too much in the future (but then I might not be using the schneider either!).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh well, that's maybe good. I moved and I seem to have lost my box of Nikon enlarger lenses in the process. So I got me cheapo 50mm Rokkor 2.8. I got it cause it was on a lensboard and I figure, the price is worth the lensboard alone. I mostly print 6x6 negs anyway so i got a Componon-S 80mm. I wonder if I'll notice the Holga prints from my Nikkor 80mm and my new (used) Componon-S?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I very rarely use my Nikkor 50mm 2.8 unless I am doing an 11x14 or larger. Generally I use either my 75mm or 90mm Schneiders as they give me more working room when making 8x10's.

I have found my Nikkor 50mm to be a very sharp and contrasty lens. Can't say the same thing about my Nikkor 135mm lens however.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin