Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,481   Online: 1155

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, our darkrooms are huge. We have a main darkroom (for intro students) and two separate advanced darkrooms, one for non-silver work and the other for traditional silver printing.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your comments. I would still prefer a respirator because I will be mixing powders soon anyway. I have no problems with respirators. I used them for several years welding. Never a problem with breathing. They saved my lungs though. So, the filters that cover acids would be more beneficial that the multi-gas one? I do no know how to figure out which filter covers what.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://us.msasafety.com/Air-Purifyin...00000200001030

http://us.msasafety.com/Air-Purifyin...00001100001200

The little fabric masks only help with solids and to a very limited extent, vapors and germs.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would agree with Maris, as people often get these hazards out of proportion. I sometimes wear gloves, depending on what chemicals I’m working with; it’s just a matter of common sense practice. Yesterday I made up 3.8 litres of D76 and as it wasn’t raining I did this outside. That method gives you good ventilation.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Matthew,

Home center stores carry respirators with replaceable filters for $30-$40. Choose the charcoal filters (they are more expensive but worth it). I picked up mine at Menards, but I'm sure they all have them. Paint supply stores should have them as well.

Feel better,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matthew, I think your phobia is trying to protect you. But those little half-mask respirators are not the last word in things.

Why don't you ask your professor if someone can check performance of the hoods? This is likely done by either the Maintenance dept, or better yet, an industrial hygienist if they have one. You really shouldn't need further protection, unless you are unusually sensitive to some of the chemicals. The test would typically use a wand (sensor on the tip) to measure airspeed in a number of positions across the hood, then calculate airflow volume (average speed times hood area, etc.). A few smoke puffs from a smoke bottle (or tube) can show the direction of flow, and uncover any bad flow patterns.

If you do go for the respirator, be aware that industry normally has people visit a doctor first, for clearance (certain lung issues, or claustrophobia, or other things can cause problems). If all is okay with you, make sure it fits ok (read up on this; facial hair near the mask has to go). And you need a way to know when the cartridges need to be replaced, typically it's when you begin to smell something through the mask. This FAQ seems pretty good - http://www.respiratormaskprotection....questions.html

About the cartridges: from the MSDS on fixer you linked to, I'd guess the possible issues to be with either SO2 if the pH ran on the low side, or with ammonia if pH ran to the high side. An acid gas cartridge should handle SO2, or an ammonia cartridge for same. But consider this only as guesswork, not a recommendation. Perhaps you could get someone from the chemistry department to take a "sniff," they can probably identify one of these. I'd be surprised if they turned you down. This chart lists a cartridge called "Defender," handling both, as well as "organics." http://www.respiratormaskprotection....nce-Chart.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin