Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,636   Online: 1131

Page 10 of 130 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415162060110 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    the one's with those tiny, inconvenient, temporary darkrooms that have to be completely set up and taken down for every session are true heroes of analog photography.
    We gain our hero muscles after a few weeks of moving a heavy 4x5 enlarger and massive baseboard from room to room every day!

I use a laundry room for my darkroom, and have to yes, setup and tear it down each time I print. Takes about 20 minutes to set it all up (about 30mins till Im ready to be printing), and about 35 minutes to take it down and clean up... Aint nothing like being exhausted from 4hours of printing only to realize you have to carry around a tank of an enlarger and make the room a laundryroom again! I really do enjoy it, I think maybe if I had the ease of just walking to an already setup room I might get a bit sloppy at times, I try to make my nearly hour of setup/takedown worth it by having a good printing session.

I'm hoping to be putting a dedicated darkroom into a 6.5foot long by 6foot wide by 6.5 feet tall! (small cieling!) box of a room within the next 4 months. Would be a lot less spacious than my laundry room, but at least it wont take an hour out of my printing time every day!

It is great to see other peoples darkrooms, you pickup a lot of nice tips, and see maybe you dont have it so bad (or good) as you think.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Images
    I'll tell you Christopher. I like small. I've spent a lot of years in a lot of commercial darkrooms and have come to the conclusion that lots walking around space is way over-rated. I like a more "intimate" setting where you're able to reach everything with a minimum of steps, Even better! While sitting on a stool. I've done plenty of production in a darkroom not much larger than you are looking at.
    The huge improvement is in having a dedicated space. Set up is done when the trays are filled and clean up is just rinsing out the dishes and a bit of straightening up. As you say, that will have a real effect on your printing sessions.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it takes many many years to build a darkroom. Not so much with the obvious equipment but with the individualizing tools that have solved a lot of questions and problems. Neal, boy do I agree with the intimate darkroom idea. After a while the feet and legs get rebelious after awhile, as it is. Certainly worth it but by cutting down to much extra effort to get to things helps lenghten the printing sessions and accomplish more during the session. Course good music is the best tool!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to agree with you on this. My current darkroom is relatively cramped; a bit bigger than my previous one, so there is a magic "enough" size where you can, for example, actually have a wet and dry side. But honestly the only thing I want there that I don't have is a teensy bit more counter space, and I don't need it that much.

What I want is a permanent setup. Maybe with a nice sink I can put trays in, but I've been doing fine without that. Something where I don't have to spend half an hour getting everything all set up before I can do anything. Something where I can go in and make contact sheets for a spare hour (although with cleaning trays that might be hard), instead of spending most of my precious, rare darkroom time making contacts from all the rolls I developed earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is very interesting thread
    I taught I had it bad. My darkroom is 4 wide 6 feet long and 6 feet high.When I want to go printing I say hallo to Heather Thomas. Than I get serious.I have an Omega 4x5 enlarger which seats on a steel table about 25" of the floor I cut out 20"x30" opening with recess for the mated glass and two fluorescent daylight bulbs under neath with aluminum reflector for viewing slides/transparencies.Cabinets are for storing paper and folders with negatives and transparecies.Underneath is a Small fridge for film and electric heater set to bring Canadian winter temperatures to 20 cel. Light is in the middle of the room with pull cord .Big clock with second hand on opposite wall with safe light above it.Small cabinet with square sink and rubber hose to my round print washer.Plastictub from Walmart with 3x 8x10 trays sitting in the water at 20 deg.Chemicals are stored underneath . Two 16x20 mesh drawers for drying large prints just under the top of the bench. To the right of that a small cabinet with 10 mesh covered drawers and muffin fan to dry prints 8x10. On the wall I have in the middle a air intake light tight with filter and 100cfm fan pulling air out.I hope you find this informational Cheers Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture6 012.jpg   picture6 013.jpg   picture6 014.jpg  
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to say room is painted medium gray only around enlarger it is painted flat black.And on the wall beside timer I have daylight light fixture to view color prints, and a erasable chalk board to enter when I mixed chemicals an other little reminders.Above it all under the ceiling string runs from left to right with about 20 plastic clothes pins to hang film or wet prints to drip dry first.
    Cheers Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great thread. Always interesting to see what others have done, particularly those with limited space - like me. My dark "room" consists of the back side of my wifes *ahem* the master closet. The bench is just over 5' long, approx. 2.5' deep, and about 4' high. The height allows for standing or sitting on a bar stool (keeps me in practice for the real McCoy) as well as 2 shelves for storage beneath. As you can see, there is a top shelf which extends along the left wall for another 4' or so. Sorry for the image overlap. All processed prints go into a holding tray (either on the floor or stool) and then get washed, toned, etc. in the adjacent bathroom. I'm trying my first 11x14 prints this evening which won't be too difficult, though definately my max size.

The other image is my neg. dryer, which slides nicely into "my" closet between the hangers. Clean cloth on the floor and clean t-shirt on top once the neg's are hung to keep out the dust. It's a 5' metal duct, 2 holes for the wire to hang clips from. It'll only hold 2 rolls at a time (35 or 120), but that's all I develope at a time anyway. Takes 24 hrs to completely dry, and I need to be a bit careful that they don't touch the sides or each other. Clean negs every time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DR left side.jpg   DR right side.jpg   neg dryer.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, forgot to add that a few changes were made in January. Namely the addition of wireless speakers hung on each side. A little classic rock cranked up sure drowns out the rest of the world... They get turned off when exposing a 'final' print, lest they cause any vibrations.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH
    The other image is my neg. dryer, which slides nicely into "my" closet between the hangers. Clean cloth on the floor and clean t-shirt on top once the neg's are hung to keep out the dust. It's a 5' metal duct, 2 holes for the wire to hang clips from. It'll only hold 2 rolls at a time (35 or 120), but that's all I develope at a time anyway. Takes 24 hrs to completely dry, and I need to be a bit careful that they don't touch the sides or each other. Clean negs every time.
    24 hours, thats a lot. My films completely dry within an hour and a half by just hanging them in the darkroom and closing the door.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just finished my third darkroom this week. It works beautifully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aussie-darkroom-1.jpg   Aussie-darkroom-2.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin