Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,313   Online: 1036

Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516172161111 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    24 hours, thats a lot. My films completely dry within an hour and a half by just hanging them in the darkroom and closing the door.
    Well, it's likely less but I'm never in a hurry to print them due to backlog of other neg's to work on. No doubt it takes several hours minimum though, because there's no air circulation. Relative humidity is pretty high in there.

I never had much luck hanging negs open in a room, esp. the bathroom due to 'traffic'. Also, using a condensor system will only highlight any small amount of neg. blemish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally got around to taking some pic of my darkroom. My first one was a makeshift affair setup in the corner of a small apartment bedroom, on top of a credenza. No running water, just a Beseler PrintMaker 35 and four 8x10 trays for developer, stop, fix, and a water-filled pre-wash print holding tray. Final wash and drying was done in the bathroom. I processed my film in the kitchen.

My second darkroom was another makeshift affair, but this time with running water! A bathroom, in fact, with my enlarger set up on the vanity, and my print trays in the tub.

Then I built this one that I use now. It's small, but fairly well equipped, and quite swank compared to my previous darkrooms. Next time I build one, though, it'll be at least three times bigger that this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroom010.jpg   darkroom060.jpg   darkroom030.jpg   darkroom090.jpg   darkroom040.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Skip,

I really like the way you constructed the wet side of your darkroom.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Eric's darkroom -- link included not attachments

EVERYONE's darkrooms are awesome! I'm envious of people who can have a wet darkroom. I need to share my darkroom with everything else in the house.

Eric's LAME Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    Hi Skip,

I really like the way you constructed the wet side of your darkroom.
    Thanks, Gilbert. The layout was pretty much dictated by the physical characteristics of the room. I'd have preferred to have the dry side opposite the wet side and parallel to it, but a closet and space to allow for the opening of the hall doorway nixed that. The workflow is pretty good with this setup, though, starting at the enlarger and proceeding clockwise to the right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's mine. I built the darkroom sink at work. It's a 4" deep stainless steel sink, 96"x30". The little hanging prints are my very first ziatypes that I printed today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drwideview3-13-05.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom sorry for the scans, I hardly ever do color and the drugstore hardly does a professional job.I have attached my enlarger table, my wetside which for now is just a counter no sink, shelving that holds my enlarger lenses, negative holders, and other misc stuff, and the laundry sink that is my only water supply. Just starting the construction here so improvments will be made. I can use it till then like it is though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enlargers03.jpg   sink.jpg   shelves.jpg   wetside.jpg   DII-2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi guys and girls, great thread indeed...

I've just (a week ago) finished working on the construction of my new darkroom and feel really happy (and exhausted), since it has taken me 2 years and 7 months...
    I've been working in a bathroom before, and in a small room in the basement of my parent's home when I was in my teens...

My new darkroom was created in a space in the underground garage that was just a corner part of the garage and so I had to build one wall and cover / paint all the inside walls, floor and ceiling. I separated the space in two parts (since it was big enough) that measure 4x3.6 and 4x2.4 meters approximately. One is the dark part (for printing) and the other is the part for print washing and print/film drying. Both have a wet side, the sink in the dark part being a stainless steel 3.6 meters long one. The ventilation draws the air from a hood over the sink (oops, made a mistake there, the hood should be BEHIND the sink). On the dry side of the dark part lies the Beseler 45 MX that for the first time is mounted on the wall (YEAH!!!) and an old meopta (my first enlarger) meant to serve for contacts...
    There is also a separate small negatives-viewing corner with a light box with a red filter on. There also are lots of cupboards, shelves and drawers.
    In the other room, there are a sink and a bench, a print squeeging and viewing vertical surface (made of glass so it can easily be washed clean) the necessary screens for print drying and a film drying cabinet. There's also a fridge for paper and film.

I'll post some shots of it for you to see... I've got lots of pictures I made while building it, now I've got to make some of it now it's finished...

What I wanted to ask you all, is why you have decided to paint your darkroom walls white (or gray) and you haven't chosen the red colour ? I've used bright red tiles for the dark part's floor and walls and painted the ceiling and everything else in there bright red. When I use the safelights, the room is very bright and any light leaks from the enlarger head reflected on the walls become red coloured and so are safe for my paper. It also adds a coloured tone to the room that makes it really different (weird :-). The other part is white of course.

Cheers,
    George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    <snip>
    What I wanted to ask you all, is why you have decided to paint your darkroom walls white (or gray) and you haven't chosen the red colour ? I've used bright red tiles for the dark part's floor and walls and painted the ceiling and everything else in there bright red. When I use the safelights, the room is very bright and any light leaks from the enlarger head reflected on the walls become red coloured and so are safe for my paper. It also adds a coloured tone to the room that makes it really different (weird :-). The other part is white of course.

Cheers,
    George
    I used to use some black boards around the enlarger but no longer bother as a safelight test showed no problem for a 10 minute test (2 mins with the enlarger switched on - lens capped) . The room is painted in mauve and cream - much more restful than 100% red!

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George -

the idea of making the darkroom wals red so that the light reflected off them becomes "safe" makes sense.

But to me it's even more sensible to make the source of the light safe (ie, use safelights), and then make the walls white so that they provide maximum reflections of that safe light.

Louie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin