Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 833

Page 16 of 130 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718192021222666116 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Dave,

Great question as to condensation with the gas heat, and one I can't answer offhand. I will find out though. Propane is somewhat popular with backcountry cabins up here, and nobody mentioned that aspect of things, so I never thought to question it. The heater serves a secondary purpose as well. If we ever lose electrical power, it is backup heat for our house. It doesn't happen too often, but we probably lose power once a year for an extended period (more than 6 hours). When that happens during a cold snap in the winter, it can get awful cold inside the house. So if I have a condensation problem, I don't consider that to have been wasted money. It is made for residential application, so we'll see.

I expect to have good ventilation regardless. I get a pretty strong eczema reaction to the chemical vapors, so I intend to set it up almost like working in a fume hood in a lab. I plan to hang clear polyethylene from the ceiling down to 18 inches above the sinks, and have the vent directly above the sink. This should make the ventilation much more efficient, as it is like venting a much smaller room than the full size of the room. I think I'm going to get a system that's rated to the full size of the darkroom anyway, though. But something that has variable speeds so I can adjust the ventilation level based on my experiences.

I appreciate the advice about finishing it first. I hope I work fast enough to make that a reality. I took a permanent job here, in past the end of nowhere bush Alaska, before I finished my dissertation. I only had about 6 months work to finish, so I figured it would be no problem. Well...I did finish, but it took me three years while working full time to figure out how to fit it in. It finally happened because we (my wife and I) decided it needed to be the number one priority, so I would come home and eat then go back to the office and work on it (away from distractions). So I have some experience with why it's best to finish before you move on to the next phase...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to see it is up and running Dave. How have you found it in the changing weather we have had lately? Hope you have a good alarm system on it!

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Troy
    If you have a good pressure in the darkroom (200) gallons of water, can you not put a small water heater (home depot) version to run off the water line and forget about bringing the hot from your home. I think it would be a no brainer?
    Saves a lot of digging 10ft to bring the line overu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Bob,

My post wasn't as clear as it should have been. I'm not going to install any water lines to the darkroom. I'm going to install a 200 gallon polyethylene tank that will be filled by attaching a garden hose to a fitting on the outside of the shed that will fill the tank. This way, I don't have to dig any trenches to depth, and can minimize those costs (since the buried line is not worry-free anyway).

Your proposed solution has come to mind before. In fact, there are some in-line hot water heaters commonly used for car-camping that run off propane (same as the heater) and might work beautifully. For the short term, I'm going to use the microwave oven to heat water when I need it. Whether I try to install a water heater, as you suggest, will probably depend in part on how well the microwave solution works and whether it is a big hassle. The advantage it has is that there is no maintenance burden added, so it already wins that hassle factor. But we'll see...

Happy Shooting.

Troy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Nice to see it is up and running Dave. How have you found it in the changing weather we have had lately? Hope you have a good alarm system on it!

Cheers, Bob.
    Because of the thick insulation the internal temperture is stable. The problem starts when I go in and the vent fan starts, as it's quite a small volume and the fan of course pulls in outside air, which on a hot day is; suprise, suprise - hot air. (and no quips about there being enough of that) To keep the temperature down I have an airconditioning unit installed - because, as I tell myself, I deserve it.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got my new - to me - D5 up and running!!!! So, I thought I'd post these in light of that milestone and to encourage several APUGers who have darkroom projects going right now (you know who you are).

The first pic is me about 20 years ago in my employer's darkroom. This is where I maintained 100's of bank cameras, did all the set up and testing, and processed any film after "incidents". The DR is spartan, but served the purpose. One film, two developers, one paper, etc.

The next two are my current home DR viewed from each end. It's 7 1/2 x 9 feet. Small, but I get 'er done. The 19mm lens makes it look bigger - not to mention slightly distorted. :o

Flanking the D5 are the old B22 and its Chromega B cousin. I could never decide between dicroic and condensor and just kept both. (I bought the Chromega new 30 years ago and the B22 cost $25 about 10 years ago!) One will eventually come down, probably the Chromega B (seems redundant to the D5) .

The wet side is an 8' Delta 1 sink. I built the stand myself. (Actually, I built the room myself, but that's another story.) At the end of the sink by the door is the print washer. There's a "dorm" refridgerator and a microwave in there under counters. And a lot of stuff accumulated over 35 years of doing this. I've had this DR about 10 years.

It's in a constant state of "improvement". I have a new faucet that I haven't installed yet, for instance. Oh, well, it's a hobby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DR SS apug.jpg   DR new apug.jpg   DR back new apug.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I may as well add mine to the collection

Here's mine. It's not ideal, but it beats what I was using. Go to
    www.destarr.com and click on notes. There's a link on that page to the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Starr
    Here's mine. It's not ideal, but it beats what I was using. Go to
    www.destarr.com and click on notes. There's a link on that page to the darkroom.
    Very informative David, looks like a very workable layout.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]I have been accumulating my darkroom this last year and already have an excess?!!... things I bought in lots, donation from friends and just simply bad purchases etc.etc... Tomorrow I will get my Omega D5-XL PROLAB (ooo la la) which I bought form a guy up in SF area. YEY!! A friend is bringing down for me. That will brings my enlarger total to 3, with no darkroom. One (at least) will be sold. But I am now at the stage of planning and ... execution!!!! Gotta pick through and decide what stays and what goes.... and what I still need, I mean want. (RH Timer mmmm)

This thread has been immeasurably helpful & informative. I have decided that I am not going with the converted bathroom (although it will be used for some of the wet) but going all the way and taking my second bedroom/office. It will be multi-purpose as I am going to plan it as area I can use for shooting studio/tabletop as well as office (sm). Very very excited... (still need to clean the room out though) I will be doing some measuring and planning over the next few days/weeks, I've gotten so much information from this thread to think over!!! I'll post again and look for any suggestion and advice as I proceed.

WOW it's finally happening. YEH!!!!

Cynthia
    BeckieBoc Studio[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Remember each day as a blessing, be grateful and live happy![/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Exciting times Cynthia, keep us informed of progress.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin