Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,543   Posts: 1,598,947   Online: 939

Page 19 of 130 FirstFirst ... 9131415161718192021222324252969119 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hope your air conditioner is very good. In August in Crete I'd need my darkroom to have an air conditioner and be located high up in the White Mountains. No need for the heating element in a JOBO to do colour in Crete!

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format

A bush Alaska darkroom update

So...I ordered the shed package back in late June and it arrived via barge in mid-August. Hired a guy to help put it up, and we got the shed exterior mostly finished in mid-September. Since then, I have been struggling mostly with my own ineptitude (is that a word) in relation to electrical wiring. I finally have a good list of what I need, and am hoping to place that order tomorrow. Meantime, I have dug the electrical trench and am hoping to pick up some cabinets and a countertop from an excess property sale of one of the local school districts. I bought two Panasonic Whisperline in-line fans, one to push air into the room, and one to pull it out. I need to get the rest of the electrical stuff so I can get the wiring done, insulate the walls, and finish the interior. We have an art show in our area on November 12, and if I don't make some serious headway I won't have anything new to show, as it's been over 8 months since I set up my temporary darkroom in the old house, and there isn't a good place to do it in the new house...if only I could move faster and stay up all night working and new more about construction...if only. But in the meantime, I'm still optimistic about getting it done in the next two weeks. But then, I have to be.

Shooter
    Medium Format

It's never done

I wish that I had found this thread some time back when I was designing my darkroom, for there are a lot of good ideas here that would not have made the thing so trial and error. But then, my new lab has been twenty years in concept and three in "collecting" so its all a process, yes? In any event, no more bathrooms for me!!!

Here is a little website I put together about my adventure building this thing. Even an essay for those who are truly bored. Comments are appreciated.

http://timescape.histpres-technology.net/newdark/
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice essay, nice darkroom, nice pictures. Well done! I enjoyed the visit.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Don't wory about fancy.
    My first darkroom was in a dirt basement behind a coal burning furnace.
    It sure taught me how to combat dust, and that has served me well for over 60 years now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Progress is slow...but it's still progress. The shed is insulated, and all but two wall panels are up. I've run out of finish nails and need to get them before I can finish that. In addition, before I can finish paneling I need to connect the entry wire that brings electrical power from the meter to the breaker box. The wire is in the trench, and I've put it in a conduit and brought it up into the shed to the breaker panel. Now, when I get more finish nails, I also need to get the conduit fitting that attaches the breaker box to the conduit. I also bought materials to build a skirting frame, and hope to get that done this week. After that frame is up, I can put in the foam insulation panels, and then put the roofing metal around the frame. Seems like a never-ending project as I write it out...but it definitely feels like progress. I also bought materials for a stand to hold the water tank for gravity flow and for a frame to hold up the counters, as work surfaces will certainly be important. So, the checklist as I understand it.
    1. Hook entry wire into breaker panel.
    2. Insulate, sheet, and panel section of wall with breaker panel.
    3. Install electrical fixtures throughout shed.
    4. Build frame for skirting.
    5. Insulate inside of skirting frame and sheet outside with roofing panels.
    6. Bring shed to temperature for a couple of days.
    7. Install interior trim.
    8. Install subfloor and linoleum (my wife says the linoleum is the ugliest of all possibles options...that's what I get for choosing the lightest colored one to facilitate less use of lighting energy...).
    9. Install water tank.
    10. Install counters and sinks.
    11. Connect to the meter...and away we go!

(And obviously I also need to move in the darkroom equipment...) If only it could happen all in one day...or maybe two? No? Oh well, sooner and sooner. I hope that it can be done in the next month. I was hoping to be done before the cold weather arrived, but it hasn't worked that way (1F outside right now, less than 20 for the past 14 days or so...). So far it hasn't mattered, though it is nice that we now have the heat installed and can get the room heated up to work in. But we can't do the flooring despite having heat in, because the outside of the floor is 1F, and it can be as warm as we want inside...which doesn't make the floor itself particularly warm. So we need to build and insulate the skirting before we do anything with flooring.

Anybody who has followed my sporadic reports on this project might remember that I had an art show scheduled for Nov. 12...which would be...yesterday...which I was hoping to have new stuff prepared for. Needless to say, that didn't exactly happen, but I took work that had been done prior to my 8-month (and counting) darkroom drought, and it went okay. But next year...I'll have lots of new stuff...and an idea of which darkroom construction decisions were seriously in error...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon
    <snip>

..... If only it could happen all in one day...or maybe two? No? Oh well, sooner and sooner. <snip>

I'm on day 4 of a total rebuild of my darkroom and oh how I relate to this part of your post.

Why does paint take so long to dry ??
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So Chiller, how long are you planning to spend on this total rebuild?

I am somewhat displeased to report that I have wandered around in the snow and cut some lumber and in the end accomplished nothing today, so will have to hope that tomorrow is more productive. I waiver between being interested in my own project and wondering why I wasn't born rich enough to pay somebody a million bucks to build this thing inside a warehouse in Phoenix and airlift it to King Salmon, AK with a large chopper, where they would set it down gently on the foundation prepared by their advance team. The inside would be finished before transport and so well done that nothing would have moved in flight. And naturally, it would include 3 different enlargers, a built in light box in the counter, a print dryer, and pretty much everything I've ever hoped to find in my darkroom but didn't have...

That was a bizarre aside...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...the light box in the counter is actually a real feature of the plans now. I got some old kitchen counters that were being tossed in the dump, and elected to use them for my countertops instead of actually buying something. One of the counters has a huge hole where the sink was, and I got to looking at it and thinking about my little lightbox... I may regret the additional project, but I'll be buying flourescent lamps and plexiglass and putting a lightbox work surface right on my countertop. It sounds luxurious, though not quite like the preceding fantasy.

Post 57! Woohoo!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I originally posted a note saying that I was starting a darkroom project, I assumed I would finish it in relatively short order and then provide a detailed description of the facility with photos to illustrate. This has not happened...instead I've been dawdling along, making some progress and realizing how far I had to go...which seems farther and farther at times. Rather than spuriously add pages to the darkroom portraits thread, which I will eventually post in again when I have a portrait to show, I intend to start a separate thread this evening giving the sorry progress on my project. And maybe I'll even post more often than once a week...

Post #58! Woohoo!
    Last edited by Troy Hamon; 11-21-2005 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon
    So Chiller, how long are you planning to spend on this total rebuild?

Post 57! Woohoo!
    Hi Troy,

Well our Summer is just around the corner and already we have had a near 100 degree day so I'm in overdrive to get everything completed. and as I keep telling my wife when the lights are out and it is dark the lack of a second coat of paint won't bother me. I drag my feet some days and wish for someone younger and fitter than me to step in and finish it but that hasn't happened yet.

I am almost ready to use my darkroom again -- it has taken about 10 days total and not a huge amount of mony.

The hardest part for me was rebuilding the ceilings that had collapsed. It is 4.8 metres long by 2.6 metres wide.

If I can get my di#### to work with Linux I'll post a couple of pics.
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin