Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,033   Online: 774

Page 24 of 130 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526272829303474124 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    A few minutes ago I took a seat in front of the reinstalled enlarger and 50x60cm masking frame and next to the RH Designs Analyser Pro and Jobo CPP-2.
    The feeling was... incredible.
    Like I just won the lottery or the heart of a gorgeous woman.
    It was the feeling of success and achievent, but more than that it was a moment of pure happiness, like the whole rotten world became good for a second, like all the madness dissapeared and everything fall into their right place.

I haven't taken a shot or printed a picture for months with this whole crazy affair of the goverment funding and waiting for equipment and trying to get the money and rebuilding the darkroom and everything. I was afraid I had lost it, that I wasn't be able to take another photograph even if I had so many thousand of euros of new equipment. I was scared shitless.

But now, I am content and relaxed and now that everything's gonna be all right baby!
    Ari,

Congratulations. Glad to hear you so happy. Remember the moment when things temporarily go wrong. Report back with more good feelings as it all begins to function. Nothing feels so great as the success of your own efforts.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you John and that you all you guys in the chatroom (you know who you are) for all your good words and encouragement.

It feels so great to have a darkroom once again!
    And a darkroom with great equipment and comfortable to be in as well!

Here are the photos of the darkroom with most of the stuff in. A few chemicals bottles and little things are not in yet and the placements might change a bit but nothing dramatic.
    (its ironic to take photos of a darkroom with a digicam, isn't it?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FromEntrance2.jpg   FromSink.jpg   FromBackWall.jpg   TheSink3.jpg   Enlarger.jpg  

aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format

Great!

Ari, it looks wonderful. Dont forget to upload the new work you are doing in there. And no, I dont think it funny at all to use your digicam to document it for us. After all, we are looking at it on the "digital" river known as the web... Hard to get prints up here otherwise.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Patrick.
    Its strange. I've been living alone for more than a decade and this darkroom feels like my first own home, my first real personal space. I mean, I have turned the living room of my appartment to a studio, my refridgerator in the kitchen has film inside and I sleep next to my photo equipment and books, but the darkroom really feels like my own private universe.
    In my appartment in Boston when I used to go to art school there, I used to have the walls practically filled with my drawings like wallpaper. Everywhere there used be a sculpture of mine, usually in progress. And I haven't got to yet, but my appartment in Greece will probably look simular soon.

But my darkroom... it feels like I have created a virtual world like the ones in computer games, a world where even the gravity or light bends to my command. But its real.

I have yet to work inside yet. I have been studying the instructions of the Analyser and of the CPP-2 and today I took my first pictures in months. It was the old church next to my house and they were taken as fodder for the CPP-2, but the feeling was great! Plus I got to use the Hasselblad CFE 40, carbon tripod and Seconic 558 for the first time...

Now, the only thing I need is a visit by Monica Bellucci and a proposal by her for erotic photos and a milllion euros in payment and I can die a quite pleased man!
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arigram,

Ah, such a nice space! I can't wait until my space is finished, although it will appear as if hacked out of a cheap block of foam compared to your setup.

You did a beautiful job. I am jealous.

It has been torture working on this space for over two years, in my spare time, and now that I am ever so close to being finished, it gets only worse! :-(

Tonight I had to cut out a Powers Fotopanel thermostatic mix valve out the copper plumbing of my homemade plywood sink and install an old ITT one I found used. The powers had too much wrong with it; dried out seals, broken valve, etc., so I took a chance and plumbed in the radically different ITT valve; took 3 hours, 2 good cuts on my hands and one roasted thumb from the propane torch, but I got it done.

Now for the water pressure test...

Silly me, I unknowingly rebuilt the valve tree with grey plastic PVC, which I now know, is only good for cold water; it leaks terribly even with plumbing putty slathered on... I also thought I'd be super careful and put a whole house water filter on both the incoming cold and hot water, only to find they TOO are not designed to operate with water over 100 degree F, so the hot water filter pot started spewing all over the place when I turned on the water.

It also appears that the 3 coats of expoxy garage paint is NOT waterproof and hairline cracks instantly opened up in the surface when water hit the surface.

I waited for the frogs and locusts to arrive as well, but they must have gotten the address wrong...

*Sigh* Sadly, I am too stupid and stubborn to give up.

Tomorrow, I rip out the filter pots, will go get some fittings and clothes washer hoses to replace the filter pots, as the solid connection between my sink lines and the overhead copper water pipes make me nervous as well; I can certainly see where vibration could fatigue the joins and cause a water leak.

I will try to locate a smaller, in line filter pot to place after the thermosatic valve, which appears to work, but has a few leaks to be fixed by replacing the grey pvc with iron or steel.

I found a quart of marine grade bilge paint down the road at a Marina Supply Store late today and plan on putting the whole thing on the sink; that should seal it up.

After that, all I have to do is cobble together my forced ventilation system, mount my other enlargers on the wall (have one already), and build a work surface for my densitometer and print dryers.

At least the biggest jobs are almost done and I am in the home stretch.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What a great space! I agree with how you feel inside a darkroom. Kind of a brain really. ENJOY!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My darkroom is just my bathroom. Moved all the regular bathroom stuff out and am in the process of moving all the darkroom supplies in. This is my first darkroom and I am really excited to start. Still need a few items.
    Shannon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you too guys!
    If only I could show you how it looked like before it was turned to some sort of darkroom... Imagine that space, then imagine it full of centuries old stuff crampted everywhere, more dirty than a prison in Nepal and a rotten door that I had to cover with plastic...
    Definately a lot worse than your bathroom Shan, unless of course your bathroom looks like that and we should worry about you!
    This darkroom is version 3 and the first time its a properly constructed space, even though I did shed a lot of sweat for version 2...
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format

Small Blessings

Any space for a darkroom can be a happy and creative space. My first photography started in 1968 with a Polaroid Model 250. It was great because I was 11 and a darkroom was not necessary. Two years later, I bought a used Argus C3 Standard, and developed in a bathroom. No prints though

It was a year before I could get all of the film I had shot into our high school darkroom and print it. I literally lived there. The largest photo store in town also rented space. Access was had to a darkroom where I worked later, but all of that stopped in 1979. Since that time, everything was commercially processed. Rot and bother. My current darkroom was nearly 25 years in the planning, and Ari, even when I am not doing photographic things, I am down here. The computer space and electronic/camera workbench are ajacent in the same area. I appreceiat your awe of just being there and thinking through creative ends.

I have added a lot of equipment since these photos were taken last fall:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image002.jpg   image003.jpg   image012.jpg   image004.gif  
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 02-12-2006 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong graphic
    Cheers,

Patrick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems that the upload feature is out to get me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image007.jpg   image011.jpg  
    Cheers,

Patrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin