Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,783   Online: 915

Page 25 of 130 FirstFirst ... 15192021222324252627282930313575125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see you have one of those color heads with the self destructing circuit boards in it too, Pragmatist. There was a fellow who was promising to create a replacement board but nothing ever came of it. I wish I could find something better to do with mine than use it as a paperweight.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I see you have one of those color heads with the self destructing circuit boards in it too, Pragmatist. There was a fellow who was promising to create a replacement board but nothing ever came of it. I wish I could find something better to do with mine than use it as a paperweight.
    Gary, you notice that I keep the manual 45S on the enlarger... The computerized head works great, but I find that I have to recalibrate the filter bias when negatives of vastly different density are placed in the carrier. It took scrapping a similar head out to get the board needed to make it work right. Someday, I might sell it.

There is salvation, however. The main microprocessor board (usually the one that croaks, and has impossible to find chips) does have a new replacement board, as well as does repair. Contact:

Adrian Davies
    Baytron,LTD. Richmond, VA
    http://www.baytronltd.com
    Ph: 804-282-1676
    Fax:804-282-1991.
    adrian@baytronltd.com

I think that I will post this to a new thread as well.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Done enough to take her for a spin...

Well, here it is in all of it's second-hand, 7 x 9 foot glory... I still need to locate some kind of work surface/counter top to go across the back of the room, but it is pretty much complete. The sink needs a few more coats of marine bildge paint, but I was impatient and had to process a few rolls of film and print a few images, so I went ahead and did it.

Almost everything seems a compromise, but it's better than no darkroom at all.

One bit of bad news; my '"bargain" of 1600 sheets of out of date Kodak Polymax Fine Art FD paper that has been in the freezer for 5 years, appears to be age fogged; at least the first box of 100 sheets. I have 15 more boxes to try; hope it was a fluke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroom1.jpg   darkroom2.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kino,

Nice use of space. I noticed your Jobo Maxilux safelight. I bought one used and have been disappointed by the low output. How is yours? I just bought some LED safelight bulbs from the APUG classifieds for just $15 each. I hope they are brighter without fog.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kino,

Everything looks very respectable, did you do your plumbing and wiring? Nice to see the vacuum breaker on the water. Are the outlets on a GFI circuit? What did you decide on for a floor covering?

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    Kino,

Nice use of space. I noticed your Jobo Maxilux safelight. I bought one used and have been disappointed by the low output. How is yours? I just bought some LED safelight bulbs from the APUG classifieds for just $15 each. I hope they are brighter without fog.
    Jerold,

Thank you; should I ever build another darkroom, I will certainly avoid the grey/white motif! It is functional, however...

I was looking at your darkroom photos a moment ago; very attractive.

Yes, I could see where this safelight would be a disappointment in a larger darkroom or if you were using it for your main safelight. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't bother, but since I had already bought it, and my tiny darkroom is white, it makes a contribution to the overall safelight illumination, but my old canister-style, grey and maroon Kodak 15 watt OC safelight is about 4X as bright.

Frank W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Kino,

Everything looks very respectable, did you do your plumbing and wiring? Nice to see the vacuum breaker on the water. Are the outlets on a GFI circuit? What did you decide on for a floor covering?

Curt
    Curt,

Thanks!

Yes, I did everything myself. I ran the electric in waterproof conduit, all fixtures are gasketed and water resistant and all outlets are GFI in parallel NOT in series so I can loose one outlet and not loose all.

I built the sink out of 3/4 plywood, caulked and sealed with epoxy garage paint and put a coat of marine grade bilge paint on it (needs at least one more).

The sink plumbing was a nightmare because of problems with tempering valves; the Powers 420 I had turned out to have a bad thermostat and main valve, so I had to cut it out and plumb in an ITT/Lawler valve, which turns out to also have a bad thermostat, but it can still be used as a manual mixer, so will save up for a new thermostat and deal with tweaking the valve occasionally to maintain temperature; The three red valves to the left of the thermostatic mix valve are all fed from that valve.

One thing, NEVER build a box like I did to enclose the plumbing! I thought it would be a more clean design, but I found out it makes a FINE sounding board for water rushing-through-the-pipes noise! I'm going to have to stuff it full of fiberglass insulation or something because it is LOUD.

The sound from a throttled-back valve was unbearable until I decoupled the house supply copper pipes from the sink with a pair of washer hoses; that also helps with knocking and keeps the pipes from jumping with sudden water shut-off.

Behind the enlarger is my "custom" ventilation (not well pictured); a 8" computer rack fan, gorilla glued into a 3/4 inch plywood board cut to fit the basement window casement, spray painted black. The fan is offset to the right and on the outside of the basement casement is another 3/4 inch plywood board with a plastic laundry dryer vent hood with air flaps. The inner casement is spray painted flat black and works fine as a light trap without any further baffling. I put the fan on a variac so I can vary the speed of the fan and avoid the inevitable harmonics that occur in such a small space.

The grey thing up in the corner on a corner shelf is a space heater, not a radio. It gets cold in there, but this heater will bring it back to reasonable in short order.

The floor is painted concrete; I used the epoxy paint with "traction chips" you broadcast into the paint before it dries. It hasn't been the most durable, some spots are flaking up, but it seems it will do for now. If you decide to use it, and you have enough, don't simply broadcast the chips on the first coat, wait for a second or third coat and THEN do it; will be much more durable.

Now I need to toddle down the road to the Harbor Freight Tools Store for some of that cheap, anti-fatigue matting they sell and I should be set for my standing area in front of the sink. Which is also in front of my enlarger! ;-)

I will compulsively rearrange this room for a few more months until I get it right, but it should do for now.

Frank W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it gets very cold in there, you might consider this:

Heated Floor Mat
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    If it gets very cold in there, you might consider this:

Heated Floor Mat
    Interesting. It's waterproof, which is great... Hmmm... wonder if it would be a good tempering pad under a series of trays? Then, you'd have to stand in the sink! ;-)

Frank W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Interesting. It's waterproof, which is great... Hmmm... wonder if it would be a good tempering pad under a series of trays? Then, you'd have to stand in the sink! ;-)

Frank W.
    I keep one in the garage in the winter and keep my shoes/boots on it. The heat dries them out and it feels goo to put on warm boots. I put one in my wife's office under her desk to keep her feet warm. It works great but I think it smells rubbery.
    Jerold Harter MD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin