Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,000   Online: 1029

Page 31 of 130 FirstFirst ... 21252627282930313233343536374181 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Curt,
    try this link Helios Fans. It describes my setup. The silencer consists of two pipes, a smaller inner pipe made of a sieve kind of material and an outer one. The space between them is filled with glass- or stone fibre. Costs about 25€ It's not that much I think. The real expensive part of the installation is the so called silentbox with the fan and of course letting it be installed by an expert. I thought of doing it myself, it's not real rocket science. But there are some pitfalls to avoid on the way to get it really silent. So it pays to let it be done by someone who knows what he's doing. The next time (which I hope will never come) I will be able to do it myself though.

cheers

Ulrich
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 07-02-2006 at 02:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's only sucking the air out. In the door is a lightproof louver with a filter (material used in kitchen exhausters). There is no heat recovery. The maximum air exchange I only need for very short periods. So I could not justify the extra expense for a heat recovery.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ulrich, that site is great and I think I will put together one like that.

Thank you,

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Perhaps of interest to wetheads

I don't think I'll ever understand some things. I missed the Transformers toy fad by at least a decade and yet...

Here's my new darktent (aka Son of Darktent) for doing wetplate collodion work in the field. This one is slightly smaller than the last one I built and will fit in my cartop carrier (except for the legs which fit inside the car).

I added removable wheels to this one. The first image shows the box packed and ready to roll.

The wheels come off and the handles become legs when inserted the opposite way into the v-shaped channels I've built on the sides of the box. The legs/handles simply slide into the channels and abut against each other and the channel sides to support the box and facilitate assembling it into the working position. Hitch pins and carraige bolts hold the legs/handles in their various positions and make for rapid function change.

The box dimensions are 30" wide x 20" high x 10" deep. The hinged bottom front door is 14" high and when folded down forms a workspace tabletop of 24" total depth in combination with the box base. I've cut a sheet of 3/8" acrylic to cover most of the tabletop in order to facilitate cleanup and help prolong the life of the fabric. This panel is dimensioned to fit inside the box in its closed position.

The shroud is Porter's better quality nylon darkroom cloth. It is stapled to the rear wall of the box and a dowel inside a piece of similar fabric holds 3 cup holder hooks which rapidly attach the shroud to the extension dowel struts on the top front door via eyehooks. The fabric has been contact cemented in place and thin strips of material will also be cemented in place tomorrow to cover the multitude of sewing needle holes at the seams. Metal cable attached to similar eyehooks on the door and turnbuckle hooks on the other end form the upper lid support which raises the shroud above head level.

A hole with 20-degree angled sides has been cut in the bottom of the box to allow a large silver bath capable of sensitizing 10" x 12" plates to drop through and be suspended below the box when the legs are used. The tank rests on foam and felt weatherstripping to form a light baffle. The tank and the legs rest at an angle of 20-degrees as well. The silver bath can either face with the opening leaning towards the front of the box for doing large plates, or it can be turned around to point at the rear wall when doing full-plate or smaller images. (I prefer the tank in the latter position but also wanted to do big plates using it so I made the orientation reversible.)

A 4mm-thick red transparent acrylic sheet forms a sliding safelight window which can be opened for ventilation on the rear wall of the box.

Surrounding the window both inside and out are strips of Velcro to which can be attached panels of blackout curtain material that make the box suitable for loading panchromatic films into holders as well as regulating the amount of light inside the box when doing wetplates.

The shroud fits neatly inside the box for transport and I'll be adding some more hooks and bungee cords to hold the sensitizing tank box and development trays against the interior walls for secure transport.

The darkbox also sits level and can be used on other horizontal tabletops if desired. A handle allows the box to be carried by hand if desired.

I'm also thinking of adding a net suspended from the handles when the box is in the transport position. The net would be used in conjunction with the darkbox top exterior surface to transport miscellaneous supplies to location.

The final addition may be a solar-powered espresso machine.

I'm mobile...

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, very impressive and it shows us all two important things about you, the first being your serious commitment to wet plate and the second that you have far too much free time. Seriously very well done, it looks well built/designed and I'm sure it weighs a little less than a piano. You know there's this thing called film that doesn't need a wet darkroom in the field......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is impressive. Next thing will be one of those self-contained camera/darkroom setups that tourist photographers sometimes use.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Joe,

I am impressed! And the darktent has a serious glow to it, judging by the photos you've taken.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally got round to taking some pics of my darkroom - am more or less packing up for the summer holiday now, (it is just too hot anyway! O.K. only for a few hours in the morning..) so seems a good time....It's pretty boring and ordinary compared to some of the above, and fairly basic, but I'm very proud of it! I particularly like the doorway, which goes round to another doorway - had fun with that. STILL needs finishing touches (wonder if they'll ever get done :rolleyes: ).
    Cate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroom1.jpg   darkroom2.jpg   darkroom3.jpg   darkroom4.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good Cate.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin