Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1123

Page 46 of 130 FirstFirst ... 36404142434445464748495051525696 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    schekh[/left];459395]Hello friends!
    Want a creative problem?. There is a premise 2,4x0,9 m.
    Wish to make small darkroom for BW Prints. What ideas on a layout?
    Furniture I can make any.
    Advise please. Thanks
    Where is the door? That will have a major impact on the layout. If the door is at one end then your options are really only to have one worktop at the other end, but if the door is in the middle then you can have a worktop at each end, one for the enlarger, the other for the "wet" side.

Where is the nearest running water? It sounds like you will have to use the darkroom to do the printing up to the point where the print comes out of the fixer and then take them elsewhere (a bathroom for example) to be washed. If you are really lucky it may be possible to run the water and waste pipe into your darkroom but it will be a tight fit!

What size prints do you intend making? This will dictate how much room you need for trays. You could however use one of the methods that others use for reducing the amount of room needed. One method is to use only one tray: you pour the current chemical out of the tray into a jug, then pour in the next chemical in to the tray: repeat for each chemical in use. Another option is to use a rotary tank system for prints: it works just like a daylight film developing tank and has the advantage that once you have loaded the tank, you can do the processing in normal lighting so you could load the paper into the tank in the darkroom and then take it to the bathroom to do the actual developing and washing, or process it in the darkroom if you prefer.

You need to think of where you can you put an extractor fan if you will be developing in the darkroom. This should be close to the chemical trays to pull the fumes away from you and out of the house. Use of an odour-free stop bath and low-odour fixer will make this a much nicer place to work, but you will still probably need an extractor fan in such a small space.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having got into Photography last year I have been developing and printing in my bathroom with varying degrees of success. The main bother has been space and the set-up/takedown time after every session (as well as my pregnant other half needing the loo every ten mins) :o :o . I decided to section off part of my garage to make a mini darkroom where I could leave all my kit set up and ready to go.

attached are before/during photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stuff 007.jpg   stuff 018.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Now after approx 3 days work and a total of £55 (~$100) expenditure I have a room that is dark..... AKA a DARKROOM!!!!

Wet & Dry corner (theyre not big enought to be called "sides") pics below....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stuff 057.jpg   stuff 060.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Posh. It took me years to get to that level 8-) Just goes to show what concentrating on the essentials can achieve.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Dark Room Portrait

Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally H View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Nice. Tell us more. Looks like you have 3 sinks. What is your largest print size? I see a tank of gas also. Do you have a nitrogen burst setup?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

The Magic Bus

Speaking of a tank of gas, here's my latest darkroom:

I recently purchased an old 1969 class-C motorhome and converted it to a mobile wetplate collodion darkroom. Last weekend was its maiden voyage and it worked very well. It converts very quickly between a collodion darkroom, a totally dark space for using panchromatic materials, and back to unobstructed viewing conditions for driving around.

The windows are covered with curtain blackout material that I purchased at a local fabric store for about $3/yard. The material is fastened with 3/4" black self-adhesive hook-and-loop strips. This allows me to completely darken the interior in case I ever wish to load film holders or develop panchromatic materials. 3/16" thick transparent red acrylic sheet covers the window above the sink and the wide, large window at the rear. The rear sheet is wide enough to be flexible and I can bend it to fit a channel I made by attaching a sheet of wood to the right and left edges of the window frame. A series of turnbuttons hold the window in place and allow me to easily attach or remove it for driving or darkroom work.

Red acrylic sheet is also used to cover the ceiling vents when loading the plate holder or developing the plate. I can quickly slide the safelight windows over or off the openings to allow for ventilation within the vehicle. The red window directly adjacent to the sink also opens rapidly for ventilation. Blackout material shutters these openings as well. It is quite bright inside with the red windows in place.

I also used the blackout material to form a lightproof curtain at the bulkhead between the driving compartment and the box. It is stapled along one wall and attached using hook-and-loop to the ceiling and the wall partition that I've built out slightly from the cabin. This curtain blocks all the light flooding in from the passenger compartment and the cab-over sleeping area (which I have converted to storage for camera equipment, backgrounds and props. I'm still able to sleep in the area where the table converts to a bunk). I can quickly remove the bulkhead curtain for driving. The white color of the blackout fabric also helps to reflect the red light within the box and make for a brighter working space.

I've removed the oven and put in a countertop with a slot that holds the dropped silver-sensitizing tank. This is the same tank for up to 10" x 12" plates from my wheeled darkbox, which is also stored under the refrigerator. The refrigerator has been put into commission as a bulk chemical storage area.

The sink has been adapted to drain into cubitainers for collection of rinse water, spent developer, etc. The faucet is not used but there is plenty of room in this vehicle for storing a water supply. (For example, I keep 5-gallon jugs of water in the shower compartment where I also store tripods, etc.)

There is a temporary hanging curtain made from black plastic sheeting and stapled in place over the door area. I will replace this with Porter's darkroom cloth soon.

This vehicle has a lot of room for storage, sleeping, etc. Plenty of drawers and storage cabinets overhead in the box. The downside is that it really guzzles gas, so I won't be driving around in it casually. But, if you do see this plate on the road, you'll know it's me:

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, that's a ways from the portable darkroom tent. Looks great!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Nice. Tell us more. Looks like you have 3 sinks. What is your largest print size? I see a tank of gas also. Do you have a nitrogen burst setup?
    Yes, there are three sinks, one on the film side and two for the prints side. I made most of the furniture / sinks / cabinets / desks. The largest print size I can normally do is 20x24. The nitrogen was originally for E6 chemical storage (when I had a commercial studio). I still use it for all my B&W chemical storage. I have a Jobo ATL2000 processor I use for film and use tray processing for prints. The wood frames for the sinks are made from cedar for light weight and because cedar will generally resist rot better than most other common woods. The sinks are seperate from the frames made of thinish marine plywood lined with an inert and chemical resistant plastic. The two cabinets are for drying prints and one for film (the one next to the nitrogen tank). The is a seperate water temp unit for the printing side and film sink. I also have a low flow Hass temp control unit fot the Jobo processor. The enlarger is a Saunder LP???? with a color head. I have two doors. One rotating dark room door in a frame that can be completly swung to bring things in / out that leads into the rest of the studio space. Another door is an emergency / normal man door that leads outside in case I do something stupid (like mix acetic acid with the pottasium ferrocyinide). I think that's it. If you have other questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Imagine a closet with an omega D6XL dichroic colour enlarger in it, piles of trays and paper boxes scattered around in various nooks and crannies, and a larger room outside my closet with a large central sink area and a gralab timer for timing development + overhead safelights and you've got an idea of my (rental) darkroom space.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin