Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,433   Posts: 1,596,868   Online: 1221

Page 57 of 130 FirstFirst ... 7475152535455565758596061626367107 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nice and clean. Did you make your own drying cabinet? Forced air?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    Louie,
    Now I get what you were saying. I like that setup with the enlarger and cabinets on either side.
    Actually, that design was sort of forced on me.

- there is a beam overhead that determined the ceiling height.

- With that ceiling height, it would not have been possible to elevate the head on the Omega DII all the way to the top of its column, and to compensate for that, I would have had to design the counter to permit the space under the enlarger to be lowered. Having done that in my former darkroom, I knew that it would be complicated to do and not all that convenient to use.

- So instead, by putting the enlarger in a corner, I was able to construct a matching recess in the dropped ceiling directly over that corner that provides the clearance required to accommodate the enlarger.

But it turns out that its a very comfortable working space. I can have the paper box on the counter on the right, and negatives on the counter on the left. I have a safelight mounted on the side of the ceiling recess that shines up toward the ceiling. The result is a enough light throughout the space to be able to see what I need to see. Only the walls in the corner are painted flat black to manage light spillage from the enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Nice and clean. Did you make your own drying cabinet? Forced air?
    The drying cabinet is made of MDF with a plexiglass insert in the door so I can see what is happening. There is a fan behind that white louver at the top that draws air into the box through a sheet of air conditioning filter material. The air then flows down through a second filter (this time, a standard furnace filter), past a 200W light bulb (mainly a source of heat) and over the film, and then out through a louver at the bottom. The film hangs from a rack made from a cut-off scrap of ClosetMaid shelving.
    Last edited by Monophoto; 03-06-2008 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's not pretty but, gotta start some where...LOL Here's my humble addition to this thread. I played around with other set-ups but, this seems to work the best for me for now. Trays are in the bathtub and just outside the bathroom door is the kitchen sink where I do my washing. I had originally planned on making kind of a table top to put over the tub for my trays and then put my print washer in the tub. However, I forgot to take note that the faucets in the tub and bathroom sink are old school and I can't attach the washer to them. So I opted for the easy route of just putting the trays in the tub. I had also wanted to get a cart for the enlarger but, that didn't quite work out either. This seems to work fairly well for me for now though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0006.jpg   IMG_0007.jpg  
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That last one is great. People who don't have a dark room and are browsing here should realize there no way to tell if a print came from a converted bathroom darkroom or a full-featured dedicated darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks ic and the best part is it only takes about 5 minutes tops to set-up and about 10 minutes to breakdown and clean up.
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Xia, looks very usable. Maybe get yourself a small table so you can raise up the enlarger a little to save your back and make priting a bit easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi pes. I tried using a table but the problem is room size and layout. Really the only place to put it on a table would be up against the far wall. Unfortunately, there are few problems using that far wall I hadn't planned on when in the beginning. One, the outlet is at the opposite end, over the toilet. Another thing was that I need to work around the table for using the trays in the tub. Also, I have a 2 blade easel which over hangs the baseboard depending on how I'm printing. In that corner, if I used a table, the baseboard would be flush up against the wall It just seems to work best for me this way and I don't mind working on the floor.
    flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Xia, maybe a board over the tub and a rack for the trays that stacks them up vertically and slightly diagonally?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I simply put the enlarger on the toilet seat and a sheet of plywood over the bath with two wooden strips along one long edge (either side of the bath's top edge) to stop it sliding off. Then I chopped the legs down on an old chair to give myself a comfortable seat . Saved my back!

Your enlarger looks a bit too large for that (mine was a small Meopta 35mm only one) but an hour with some wood could provide a small table that fits over the toilet seat, providing a larger surface.

Now I have a "proper" darkroom, but I certainly had plenty of fun in my make-shift bathroom one! Whatever you do, enjoy!

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to keep it simple as it is right now. I have no problems working in there now comfortably. Any thing else bit for it just means more to breakdown/set-up and also more I need space to store away. Anybody who has lived in a small apartment knows space is a premium. The only limiting factor for me at the moment, is my eyes. I find about at the 2 hour mark my eyes have had enough from straining in the low light. I start to get a good headache and have to call it a night. Though it could just be that I'm turning on the lights after every print to see how it turned, so my eyes are constantly having to readjust.
    flickr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin