Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,324   Online: 860

Page 58 of 130 FirstFirst ... 8485253545556575859606162636468108 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Getting Ready for April 21 - Global Darkroom Day

I did a little darkroom cleaning yesterday and went out and got this rack.

This is a little more than half of what I have.

Not pictured are the 5 liter jugs of Ilford chemistry and about a dozen or so boxes of Ilford 16x20 fiber paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroomsupplies.jpg  
    Last edited by david b; 03-09-2008 at 07:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice rack

(that's also more than my local store has in stock)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New Work Area - Wet & Dry

After forty-two years and at least six darkrooms built and equipped, the last five of which have been work-based, number seven (possibly the last?) is purely for my own indulgence and right in my own back yard.

Completed in December last year, I designed and built it from scratch on a plot of land adjacent to the house. One side is the lightroom, where the Macs, PCs, scanners and printers reside (mainly for business purposes, honest...), the other side is the darkroom equipped to print from 35mm to 5x7. At a mezzanine level, there is storage space and a print finishing area. Total ground floor area, about 29 square metres (~300 square feet).

Three windows all have boxed darkroom blackout blinds so the whole area can be plunged into darkness easily. It has light-tight air intake/extraction fans and underfloor heating; all the doors have lightproof ventilation grilles so that airflow can be maintained, even when in dark use. There's a small internal room with no windows for film loading and to provide the essential tea and coffee-making facility, the entrance provides a library/seating area with views over the garden and there is also a small toilet and washroom. It is certainly the most pleasant work area I've ever had, completely self-contained - but that was the idea.

So am I crazy to invest so much in a 'dying craft'? Well I don't think so; since giving up traditional processing at work nearly seven years ago, I've had an overwhelming desire to get back to the peace and quiet of the darkroom to pursue my love of traditional 'analogue' work. Whilst I still need to spend some hours in front of computers to pay for my current luxury accommodation, when that's done I can easily revert to enlarger baseboard instead of Apple keyboard. And eventually, when I've long gone, the whole place could easily be converted to a livable annexe to the main house - it's actually built to a higher standard!

So far it's working well, the only drawback being finding the time to use it without appearing to be a complete recluse and totally neglecting the rest of the household!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _RSH0259JPG_Export.jpg  
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    After forty-two years and at least six darkrooms built and equipped, the last five of which have been work-based, number seven (possibly the last?) is purely for my own indulgence and right in my own back yard.
    That is awesome. That this was created for you own personal photography is quite laudable! A fantastic encouragement to keep building conventional darkrooms!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    So far it's working well, the only drawback being finding the time to use it without appearing to be a complete recluse and totally neglecting the rest of the household!
    Ah - the most profound problem!
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lovely space Roy.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Ah - the most profound problem!
    LOL.....for sure!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

My tiny darkroom

My darkroom is 200 cm across and 160 cm deep. This is also where I keep most of my cameragear and other stuff.

But the important thing is that I have a permanent place to work in, that it includes running hot and cold wate, that it does have a vent and that I can easily crank out 16x20 prints any time. I have just upgraded my enlarger from an old Durst-C65 to a LPL-7700 which makes it a lot easier to make big prints (the lamp on the Durst is a wee bit weak compared to the powerful halogen on the LPL). I have new lenses comping in shortly. With a pile of negs to print - life is good.

My past two darkrooms (from when I lived in San Francisco a while back) were not permanent. In one flat I could set everything up in the bathroom. In the other the kitchen was the best spot.

Now if I could just find some place in the house for a dry-mount press...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frontside.jpg   Wetside.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would your 6th darkroom you build please be for me!

Quote Originally Posted by argentic View Post
    The first darkroom you build for an enemy.
    The second one you build for a friend.
    And the third one you build for yourself.

Until now I have built five darkrooms. But there are still things to improve. And everytime I study other peoples darkrooms, I learn one or two nice tricks.

Would you mind posting some images of your darkroom? I'll start with mine. I use it one day every week. And even after about twenty years of darkroom work, I still want to change things. (That's why I got the idea of this thread.) My desktop is very cluttered because I'm in the middle of a rearranging my darkroom.

1) My darkroom sink. I adapted an existing sink to do all my film developing, and washing. Above the sink chemicals are stored child-safe. I built my own sodium lamp.
    2) An Omega D5 XL enlarger for 4x5 inch negatives
    3) A Durst M605 enlarger, my darkroom books and negatives.
    4) The wet bench with photographic paper to the left, and film tanks underneath.
    5) Bulk chemical storage and processing clock.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dark Side of the Moon

Here's my latest wetplate collodion darkbox. This one will keep me out of the ether/alcohol fumes. I wanted this box as light and small as possible, to fit on the front seat of my car (have to remove the wheels for that), yet still able to do full plates. The box is 1/4" thick aspen plywood attached to a 3/4" thick reinforcing frame. Full plate will be tight in here but do-able. Smaller plates should be no problemo.

The box is hexagonal rather than rectangular and the sleeves go in at 45 degrees through the angled front sides. It seems much more natural for my arms to go in that box at a 45-degree angle rather than straight on. I can still reach every point inside the box if needed. The sleeves are constructed of an exterior layer of aluminized nylon and an interior layer of Porter's premium darkroom fabric. The sleeves have integrated elastic bands at one end and in the middle to form a light seal.

The angled rear panels are essentially upward sliding doors that should allow easy access to the interior. The silver tank is about 13" high and can easily go inside these doors. So, there should be plenty of room for holders as well.

There is a red acrylic safelight window on the top and another red angled viewing port 45 degrees off vertical on the front. The top of the box forms a hood over the inset and angled front window. I intentionally designed that viewing window to be at my eye level to avoid any stooping over. I'm hoping the top of the box will be an adequate hood to prevent glare on that window. If not, it shouldn't be difficult at all to attach a fabric hood around that window.

I built a tray out of red acrylic that fits between the dropped silver tank and the front wall of the box. It has a drain hole and attached acrylic hollow tube that goes through the base of the tank. The clear tube will be covered by a black rubber hose that will attach to some tubing below the box. The drain hose will empty into a yet to be determined waste container of some sort. The box is elevated slightly on ~ 2.5" high feet with room for the hose to curl underneath. I figured a slight curve to the black hose would prevent light from entering the tank.

I've also kicked around the idea of a gravity-fed water supply from the top of the box but haven't decided where it should enter yet. I built a lip around the top of the box to help prevent anything put on the top from falling off. I'm thinking of adding a net or bungee cords to the top to help hold stuff in place. I'll probably tweak this thing a bit more before I'm done.

The silver tank is similar to Kerik's design with a foam seal to allow transport of the tank when full. The thing is on 14" wheels and the front pair of legs are attached in such a manner as to act as handles for pulling/pushing the thing around.

I've also built a back panel-easel sort of thing that is attached to the folding rear leg. (Maybe I'll do some plein air painting with this as well).

If I were to do this again I would probably have the base squared off in the back to provide an exterior shelf for the tripod on one side and a water container on the other side for ease in transport. That wouldn't increase the weight very much but it would add to its functionality.

How well this thing will work is still up in the air, but I think it will be quite functional even though butt-ugly. I should be able to strap a tripod on the rear, transport needed chemicals and trays inside the box, and carry the camera on the top. I'll give it the initial trial sometime this week.

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin