Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,135   Online: 859

Page 59 of 130 FirstFirst ... 9495354555657585960616263646569109 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The L.E.M is back...
    Beautifully made :...Speechless.
    -)
    Guillaume

Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    Here's my latest wetplate collodion darkbox. This one will keep me out of the ether/alcohol fumes. I wanted this box as light and small as possible, to fit on the front seat of my car (have to remove the wheels for that), yet still able to do full plates. The box is 1/4" thick aspen plywood attached to a 3/4" thick reinforcing frame. Full plate will be tight in here but do-able. Smaller plates should be no problemo.

The box is hexagonal rather than rectangular and the sleeves go in at 45 degrees through the angled front sides. It seems much more natural for my arms to go in that box at a 45-degree angle rather than straight on. I can still reach every point inside the box if needed. The sleeves are constructed of an exterior layer of aluminized nylon and an interior layer of Porter's premium darkroom fabric. The sleeves have integrated elastic bands at one end and in the middle to form a light seal.

The angled rear panels are essentially upward sliding doors that should allow easy access to the interior. The silver tank is about 13" high and can easily go inside these doors. So, there should be plenty of room for holders as well.

There is a red acrylic safelight window on the top and another red angled viewing port 45 degrees off vertical on the front. The top of the box forms a hood over the inset and angled front window. I intentionally designed that viewing window to be at my eye level to avoid any stooping over. I'm hoping the top of the box will be an adequate hood to prevent glare on that window. If not, it shouldn't be difficult at all to attach a fabric hood around that window.

I built a tray out of red acrylic that fits between the dropped silver tank and the front wall of the box. It has a drain hole and attached acrylic hollow tube that goes through the base of the tank. The clear tube will be covered by a black rubber hose that will attach to some tubing below the box. The drain hose will empty into a yet to be determined waste container of some sort. The box is elevated slightly on ~ 2.5" high feet with room for the hose to curl underneath. I figured a slight curve to the black hose would prevent light from entering the tank.

I've also kicked around the idea of a gravity-fed water supply from the top of the box but haven't decided where it should enter yet. I built a lip around the top of the box to help prevent anything put on the top from falling off. I'm thinking of adding a net or bungee cords to the top to help hold stuff in place. I'll probably tweak this thing a bit more before I'm done.

The silver tank is similar to Kerik's design with a foam seal to allow transport of the tank when full. The thing is on 14" wheels and the front pair of legs are attached in such a manner as to act as handles for pulling/pushing the thing around.

I've also built a back panel-easel sort of thing that is attached to the folding rear leg. (Maybe I'll do some plein air painting with this as well).

If I were to do this again I would probably have the base squared off in the back to provide an exterior shelf for the tripod on one side and a water container on the other side for ease in transport. That wouldn't increase the weight very much but it would add to its functionality.

How well this thing will work is still up in the air, but I think it will be quite functional even though butt-ugly. I should be able to strap a tripod on the rear, transport needed chemicals and trays inside the box, and carry the camera on the top. I'll give it the initial trial sometime this week.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A few more pics of it in transport mode:

ready to roll

I'll be adding a cargo net to the top.

I can still access the interior in transport mode.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Shooter
    Instant Films
    You all have such nice darkrooms! I am still using the one at school. I hope someday soon to build my own - it is neat to see all these photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Smieglitz, are you sending that device to Mars?
    Because it sure looks like one of those planetary exploration robots.
    You just need to attach a camera and add a remote control and you can sell it
    to NASA claiming that those new digital photos are crappy and they should bring
    back the good old days when they carried Hasselblads and Rolleis to their missions!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    A few more pics of it in transport mode:
    "Transport mode", that sure sounds like NASA jargon!!!

Want to see the first astronaut trying to put a rounded bubble of emulsion on top of free floating glass plate...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Added a few more mods to it earlier in the week. It now has a 4ft long ribbed drain hose exiting the bottom. I also added some tubing inside and out near the top right so I can gravity-feed water into the box, assuming there is gravity.

It is becoming sort of Gigeresque as it evolves. And speaking of which, check out this guy's pinhole cameras and images: Wayne Martin Belger

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In keeping with tradition of my "Ghetto Darkroom", here's my new print drying rack/screen:

36" x 7' fiberglass screen $6.49:
    http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/72...en-681837.aspx

1 1/4" x 5/8" capacity binder clips $2.99:
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...;cmArea=SEARCH
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My small darkroom/bathroom. Enlarger head is above the easel, but too dark to see in the picture. The dark towel on the right is used to block stray light coming through the door cracks. The enlarger is a russian suitcase enlarger UPA-601.

Both pictures were taken during a darkroom session, with safelight as the only lightsource.

Stop-bath on the right, fixer in the middle, wash tray on the left (with a print in it). Developer tray is in the sink, not seen in the image.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

darkroom photostory

Quote Originally Posted by argentic View Post
    The first darkroom you build for an enemy.
    The second one you build for a friend.
    And the third one you build for yourself.
    Well, I have just finished building my third darkroom. I must say that it is far more superior then previous ones.

Here you can find some pictures documenting the process of changing kitchen to darkroom .
    http://57things.com/photography/darkroom-photostory

--
    Robert Wijas

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mine is coming along slowly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin