Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,258   Online: 818

Page 60 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10505455565758596061626364656670110 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I write these thoughts and post these images with the hope of repaying a debt of gratitude, to say “thanks”.

30 years ago I got a 35mm camera as a gift in prelude to a year long trip as a Foreign Exchange student. I found I liked taking pictures. A little over 25 years ago I took a course at my University in photography, and learned a little about black and white photography, everything from composition to developing and printing. At this point I was in a word addicted. The process from start to finish fascinated me. I have been at it in starts and fits ever since.

I worked in everything from college darkrooms to moral support darkrooms in the military to makeshift ones where ever I might have lived at the time. After a while I began to dream of one day having my own. I spent some time and a little money accumulating the stuff I needed but never seemed to be at the right place at the right time to start.

Then not too long ago I ran across something called APUG. Here is a community of people with lots of good ideas presented in ways that I found inspiring. So I “borrowed” a lot of the ideas and have soaked up some inspiration. Here are some of the results.

The enlarger is based on heavy duty shelving brackets. (Based on a lead I got from APUG) It has an aluminum and plywood frame. The bellows I made and are from a homemade camera project. They worked great but were just a tad twisted. They didn’t look so good, but for this application it didn’t matter. The light stage, the negative stage and the lens stage can all be aligned independent of each other via threaded rod. The focus is also with threaded rod. ( yes, alignment takes patients ;-) ) The light source is 6 ea. 11watt “daylight” florescent bulbs (75 watt tungsten eq.) behind a “diffuser” of Perspex.

The negative drying cabinet is shelving material, some 2x2 and air-conditioning filter from the local hardware store. It has an 80 watt heater in the bottom that was from an electrical box, but I seldom use heat.
    The 4x5 film washer is Plexiglas glued together with loctite attak. I then went over the joints with fish tank silicone.

The darkroom sink is of 12mm plywood. The joints are sealed with tech7. I then painted it with 6 ( or was it 7) coats of boat paint. It is sitting on a frame work built with 2”x2” lumber.

The print washer is a plastic container form the local hardware store with a Plexiglas false wall at the drain end to force drainage from the bottom. The separators are Plexiglas held in place with PCV trim. Water is injected in each section from a plastic pipe clamped to a water hose. The “jets” are 2mm holes drilled at appropriate intervals.

None of the ideas behind the dark room equipment I have made are my own. To all of you from whom I have borrowed ideas; thanks for helping me realize the dream of having my own darkroom! To those of you who are on the edge of building your own but aren’t quite there yet, if I can you can. I hope you see here an idea or get inspiration to realize your wish.

Thanks Sean for putting together the community called APUG.

Victor

http://www.doak.no
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x5washer.jpg   enlarg-dryer.jpg   Enlarger.jpg   sink.JPG   PrintWasher.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Victor,

Your post was a joy to read! It's so great to see someone "stand on the shoulders of giants" and use what they've found here to create such a wonderful space.

This is the first time I've seen the enlarger-from-shelving-brackets approach. You've got me thinking about perhaps doing one in my own space, fixed focus, for the sole purpose of enlarging full-page print files onto 11x14 or 16x20 enlarged contact sheets.

Thanks for the inspiration!

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkshed

I too could not have completed my "Darkshed" without this thread and the help of everyone here. I've spent many hours trawling through posts, taken on board all advice and recommendations and even built the sink with the help of Appugians.
    So thanks to everyone who contributed, and specially to Fintan for all the equipment and for hauling it to Cashel for me!

Síle

Here's a few pics of before and after :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shed.jpg   Darkshed.jpg   Interior.jpg   Sink.jpg   With safelight.jpg  

Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work. Almost a shame to keep it in the dark!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Finally clean enough to show pics...

Okay, I got a bit carried away on the cabinets- they were having a sale!

The wet side: 3' x 6' stainless steel sink.

It's kind of hard to see the ventilation system, but it is a 4" PVC pipe for
    a septic system. I enlarged the holes & it runs down into the basement
    & outside. I like the idea of all the fumes being drafted over the trays
    & down, rather than over my nose.

Dry workbench: Film fridge & 1200watt mercury-lamp UV exposure unit.

Dry side enlarger bench: Durst Laborator CE100 & tunes.

The room is 11' x 13' and is on the lower floor, so no external windows.
    It was a cinch to set up, but it took me a year to convince my wife
    that she needed more light for her sewing room... Sure beats trying to
    build out the basement!

Now, if I can just get some help cleaning up the printmaking studio I can
    post those pics to Wet Canvas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMoore3rd View Post
    Okay, I got a bit carried away on the cabinets- they were having a sale!

The wet side: 3' x 6' stainless steel sink.

It's kind of hard to see the ventilation system, but it is a 4" PVC pipe for
    a septic system. I enlarged the holes & it runs down into the basement
    & outside. I like the idea of all the fumes being drafted over the trays
    & down, rather than over my nose.

Dry workbench: Film fridge & 1200watt mercury-lamp UV exposure unit.

Dry side enlarger bench: Durst Laborator CE100 & tunes.

The room is 11' x 13' and is on the lower floor, so no external windows.
    It was a cinch to set up, but it took me a year to convince my wife
    that she needed more light for her sewing room... Sure beats trying to
    build out the basement!

Now, if I can just get some help cleaning up the printmaking studio I can
    post those pics to Wet Canvas.
    Wow, you have a very nice setup there. Thanks again for the graflex holders I bought from you. I'm in the process of converting a spare room into a darkroom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow - Page 60 of this thread is a real humdinger!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mobile Darkroom

Having gone head over heals for the wet plate process, I decided to go with a mobile darkroom over the portable darkbox used by many. I like a lot of working space!

I started off by ordering a 5x10 foot aluminum trailer with additional height so I could stand up inside, a side door and extra seals for dust and light. For the last week I have been making modifications. A 12-volt electrical system, 21 gallon water and waste tanks, stainless steel sink, in-counter silver bath, high-speed ventilation system, etc. All is coming together well and I should be able to do some road tests by tomorrow. After a successful road test, I can begin all the cosmetic finishing touches like cupboards with door latches and secure storage for chemicals, trays and plates. It's shaping up nicely and I can't wait to get it on the road!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang Bill. All the creature comforts! Hope to see this rig up in Northern MN this fall :-)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Dang Bill. All the creature comforts! Hope to see this rig up in Northern MN this fall :-)
    Thanks Andrew! Really hoping to be able to bring it along.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin