Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,325   Online: 982

Page 62 of 130 FirstFirst ... 12525657585960616263646566676872112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Bennett View Post
    Ikea dish drains, aren't they?
    Seems so. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80022786
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aye, sure are

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm new to APUG and have really enjoyed this thread Thanks to one and all.

We've recently built a new house, but I still couldn't get a permanent darkroom past the bank manager, so I have to convert the bathroom for each printing session... Here's some before and after pictures.

The D2V is sitting on a microwave trolley that gets wheeled in and out, while the trays are on the vanity/chairs/bog.

Amazing what you can do with sheets, towels, blankets, cardboard, thermodrape and rodinal!

The biggest problem has been light bouncing round inside the roof cavity (from the downlights) and then coming through the penetration for the ceiling fan ...

Fortunately there is another bathroom in the house so wife and kids do not need to "go without" ...

Works for me (sort of).

Cheers

Carey Bird, Sydney, Oz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails before.jpg   after.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I'm new to APUG ...

We've recently built a new house, but I still couldn't get a permanent darkroom past the bank manager, so I have to convert the bathroom for each printing session...
    Welcome to apug BTW. Many millions of prints have been made in bathrooms! You're in good company. But, in the future, maybe you should buy the "bank manager" a nice gift.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great to see the photos...To go along with them wish would love for everyone to let us know the size of the space one's working/"living" in...Thanks for sharing and the a kick in the butt!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    maybe you should buy the "bank manager" a nice gift.
    LOL, I just bought her a new house ... and even that didn't work :-(

Cheers

Carey Bird

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time for an update on my ongoing quest for my own darkroom. My parent purchased an old cold room from a pub, without the motor, to use as a store room for produce from the garden and orchard. I suggested I could use it for a darkroom until I went off to university...well I'm at university and still borrowing it when I come up home. It's not 100% light tight, the door comes off it's runners rather often, and running water (let alone water of a set temperature, hah!) is a lovely dream. I'm getting by though, and the repairs I make to it will help it in it's next, more productive role.

The Ilfolab 2150RC is just a large paperweight until I have somewhere to plum it into...came with the Beseler 4x5 (not pictured, needs a new light source), roll paper cutter, roll print easel (not pictured, #$^&ing huge), and the desk, for a grand total of $320 Australian.
    The extraction fan is pretty mean, but my mum worries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC_0479.jpg   PIC_0467.jpg   PIC_0478.jpg   PIC_0470.jpg   PIC_0468.jpg  

PIC_0475.jpg  
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's the "dry side". This room serves as the hall bathroom when the family are around. They're gone this week so...it'll be the dark room all week!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1869.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just started getting back into "real" photography after 10 years of shooting pretty much nothing but digital. Not going to hang up my CCD's for everything - but for stuff that matters it's time to setup a darkroom again!

I built my first darkroom in 1988 the summer before I started high school. My father was supposed to help me - but a case of appendicitis sidelined him for the project and I ended to tackling it all myself. I had been saving all the profits from my paper route for two years to finance it and ended up doing everything from framing the walls to wiring and plumbing.

Most of the construction photos are here but here are a few highlights:

Before:

Cleared out:

Framed:

First use:

To be honest this is jumping ahead a little. My first "darkroom" was a box with some black sweatshirt sleeves duct taped onto holes and my bathroom sink. My first prints were done on the floor of my parents closet and processed in trays in the bottom of their shower (their bathroom and closet had the fewest windows and doors to deal with!)

The first print from that improvised setup was from a photo I took the day I started construction on my darkroom, the same day my dad's appendix nearly burst. We had pit passes to the Cleveland Grand Prix - he thought he just had a stomach flu and had my mom take me to the race that day. When we got back we found out he had been rushed to the hospital when things got worse (this was of course before cell phones.) The print is still one of my favorites - I didn't see many big names at the races that day (it was just a practice day) but I did catch one or two:

Over the summer I continued to improve the darkroom. I built a sink out of 3/4" plywood with several layers of paint and polyurethane over it. Brought in some old kitchen cabinets that were collecting dust in our basement, and before I finished the outer drywall added light traps in the walls for ventilation with a built in fan. I modified one of the drawers in the kitchen cabinet to be a paper safe and even added an adjustable shelf off the side of my table for doing bigger prints. Though the limitations of the Beseler cadet meant I never really used it.

(Continued in next post due to photo limit)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By the next summer my darkroom was pretty much ready to go. I was deeply involved in our schools photography club at that point. I became head photographer for our school paper and by my senior year was president of the club and head photographer for the yearbook. My darkroom got a lot of use by both myself and other club members when deadline times came around!

I can't find any photos of it...but I actually used liquid light to put a print of a photo of myself working in the darkroom on the door. The image I used for that is the middle one hanging on the wall behind the enlargers:

You can see one of the built in vents under the shelfs in this image of the all important darkroom tunes. I removed all the lights from in the stereo and then plugged the Schlitz beer sign that's on the pegboard into a switched outlet on the back of the stereo. Put a safelight bulb into the beer sign and I had way to remember if I had turned the radio off without fear of fogging paper:

Here's the intake and built in fan for the ventilation. The doorbell switch went to a doorbell inside so people could let me know they wanted in. I also wired a switch upstairs in our pantry that my parents could use to let me know they needed me without having to come down to the basement:

I can't find the later photos...but eventually I traded in the Vivitar and Printmaker enlargers for a used Durst M670. Then shortly after came into possession of an Omega D-II mounted on it's own table and with a full set of condensors, negative carriers and even an omegalite head when our local police department closed down their darkroom and donated everything to the school - who didn't want it either and offered it to me

At some point I picked up a Jobo CPE2 (thankfully my sink was big enough to hold the Jobo AND a set of 8x10 trays at the same time) and taught myself color printing. Tried C-41 a few times but when I turned 16 I got a job at a one hour lab / photo studio and could get C-41 done free (had to pay for prints though.) The owner was blown away that I had learned so much with no formal training and pretty soon I was the main printer there, which I liked since it meant not having to work the counter

I packed up the Jobo and Durst and took them with me to College where I majored in Visual Communications with a specialization in photo illustration (though the school kept trying to push me into photo communication - their name for photojournalism.) I did setup some temporary darkrooms in the various houses I lived in at that time...but with the skills I had taught myself I got a job my freshman year in the photo resources department of the schools college of medicine. It was the best darkroom on campus and a job usually only open to upper classmen. But my portfolio and a friends recommendation sealed it for me. Sadly my junior year my position was cut so they could fund more digital equipment. A move I had been pushing them to make myself, ah sweet irony!

After college I moved out west to Arizona and again had just the essentials. 3 trays, my Jobo, and my Durst. But about that same time I got my first digital camera and other than a few 1-2 night temporary darkroom setups barely touched analog again. With no local camera stores here in Yuma, AZ and mail order only really being safe in the winter it was just too much hassle.

Next post - my analog revival

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin